Klein Pinnacle

allard

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Until now i never owned an aluminium mountain bike. So i started to look for one on the different forums and auction sites. The problem was that i didn't have a clear picture in my head which one only that it should be of an age that i could fit my Interloc seat post and more importantly my Interloc Rotary and Switchback brakes on it. Than i came across a post on a forum about a Canningham which lead to my discovery of the Kleiningham concept. Now i knew i had to have a late eighties Klein Pinnacle the difficulty remaining to find one. But than Bushpig came to the rescue by telling me he saw one on ebay i didn't hesitate and bought it!

When the bike arrived it was painted in some non original paint which was quite damaged so i removed it to it's raw beauty. The components i had laying around or came on the bike when i bought it.

Pinnacle%2520update.jpg

Specs:
Frame: Klein Pinnacle
Fork: Klein Spinner
Headset: Shimano Deore DX
Stem: Suntour XC
Handlebar: Seven titanium
Grips: No name
Shifter: Shimano Deore XT
Brakelevers: Dia Compe 182
Brakes: Interloc Rotary and Switchback
Seatpost: IRD
Seat: Selle Italia Turbo
Hubset: Shimano Deore XT
Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Araya RM-400Pro
Tires: Panaracer Smoke II and Dart II or Ritchey Tom Slick
Bracket: Klein
Crankarms: Shimano Deore XT
Chainring: Surly stainless 36
Pedals: Suntour XC-Compe
Chain: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 6 speed
Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Bottlecage: King stainless

its much cooler without the silly Kleiningham decal.

Got to love them brakes too....!

:cool:

That is one hell of a clean looking bike. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to remove the paint and to get the matt look on the aluminium?

sinnerman":2ccn4hn2 said:

different bike

the decal on the one you're thinking of is a nice touch

The non original paint that came on this frame was by Cycle Art and was incredibly hard so i had to have the frame sand blasted by an expert. Than i sanded it down with grit 150 to 1000 taking me a lot of time.
I actually have to discourage you to have it blasted there it leaves some small pits in a couple of areas.

The road bike i posted on this forum i scraped down with a small knife after which i sanded it down grit 150 to 1000 and that is the way i would advice although getting in all the small corners is very tedious!
Original Klein paint is actually very soft so easy to scrape of.

hollister":38yetu1u said:
sinnerman":38yetu1u said:

different bike

the decal on the one you're thinking of is a nice touch

I Know.

And thats a matter of Opinion.

Back