Huret mileometer/speedometer connection?

sooper8

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
does anyone know how the classic Huret speedo cable 'connects' to front wheel? Concealed in hub? Clicks a fixture on a spoke? Or some other way?
Thanks in advance

In my youth i think i had one of these. It fitted at the axle and a two pronged attachment which fitted loosely between the spokes. The attachment spun round and drove a gear which turned a cable which went into the speedo unit and gave the speed.

No doubt, other posters will be able to assist further.

Wasn't the wheel fitting sort of 'toothed' to drive the gear on the end of the cable? I remember a old friend fitting one for time trialing but the drag was so bad he soon took it off!

It was a sort of enclosed worm gear, both of us used these on training bikes in the 1960's. No perceptible drag, had one on our tandem in the 60's, but the 40 mph calibration was not enough for slight downhill.
This was a way of showing Mrs.K how to keep up the speed on inclines, which for TT's is more important than trying to catch up downhill, if you do the arithmetic.

Thanks for info guys....

The reason I posted was that a forum member was taking one off a bike for me.
Will it be possible to dismantle and reassemble?
They are not too clear about the parts involved

The drive that fits on the hub and is turned by the wheel is self contained, just needs a little lubrication. The cable has a square end to fit in like an old car speedo cable.

There were a couple of types I came across.......one was a multi-toothed wheel which drove a cable and the other was a worm drive. All fitted onto a washer which meant you had to spring the forks a bit but nothing drastic needing the forks re-setting..

Shaun

The Huret Multito is not at all like those described. The huret Multito is belt driven and has no cables. It uses a rubber "belt" that is actually a large o-ring seal. The belt connects a multito specific drive ring that is snap attached to the hub or can alternatively be fitted by means of supplied aluminum bands that get wrapped around the spokes, to a gear on the multito unit. The gear has two different diameters and was available in either metric or imperial units.

Latest posts

Back