Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

right the progress is limited due tothe following issues:

Loose Headset cups, although Since last night I have found that loctite 638 http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_us/hs.xsl/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797921640449
or Loctite 609 http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_us/hs.xsl/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797928194049 may be the answer to my "stretched" headtube. :)

The handlebar Is slightly bent :cry: annoying but I did have another bar to hand.

The Stem seems to have a very slight twist also :roll: the ends of the bar clear the top tube by differing amounts from "lock to lock".
the front end of this bike seems doomed!

But the first mock up looks like this....
main.php

C16

Looking good, no doubt will ride even better.
On the stem twisted topic, a lot of xc stems were prone to this, usually cased by bar ends being fitted and the ride traversing bumpy ground while stood up. I've seen quite a few twisted by 10 to 15 degress, the Pace RC45 ones were notorious for this.

That kind of makes sense, also the longer the stem the more levarage being applied. This was only very slight, About 15mm difference over the length of the bars. You could hardly see it until I used a set square to eyeball the headtube as a reference. :? Initially I thought it was the first set of bars. :oops:

Generally I'm pleased so far, Just won a Amberwall Smoke for the rear wheel on ebay, :D

Now I just need to sort that headset/headtube out.... Gonna try to get some loctite.....

Other possibility is to "sleeve" the head tube. I.E. a full length shim down the head tube?

This had occured to me, but the "Slop" amounts to about 0.2mm total so 0.1mm each side. The loctite is a retainer compound for slip/press fit cylindrical joints, and at £4 for a small tube, It's got to be a cheaper option to try first :D

otherwise i'll be going to try and sweet talk the local machine shop ;)

Machine shop

There wouldn't really be the need to splash out a load on a machine shop, Stainless sheet is available in various thicknesses, which could be cut to the correct size, carefully rolled around a dowel of the correct diameter, then inserted.
It may be a bit fiddly, but with patience would work well.
I've never had one quite as bad as this, but a few with "slack" headsets (can be removed by hand) If you shop arround, you can find some brands have much deeper insertion depths amd these usually alleviate the problem.

Cheers! :D

Picked up these rather nice Control Tech bar ends on ebay the other day, they're really light! just 145g!!! :shock:

main.php

Also these nice Sokin skewers at 43g the pair! :D

main.php

Back