Mercian King of Mercia - Retro Content!

Theoldfm

rBotM Winner
I have been into bikes since I was in my early teens. When I was 14 I decided to put my training into action and start racing!

All through my teens I raced, including time trials, road and track. All of my pocket money, paper-round wages and much of my time was spent on saving up for new (second hand) parts and for ever improving my bikes.

One day, my Dad came home from work with a copy of the local evening paper and excitedly pointed out an advert for a second hand Mercian Frame. £35 later and it was mine...

The frame was lovingly cleaned up, built up and went onto help me win the Juvenile East Midlands Road Race Championship in 1986 - Long Eaton, Nottingham

main.php

main.php

main.php

Me and my Dad then spent the whole of that season travelling the county, racing in the City Centre GP's and riding for the BCF Divisional Squad.

Ilkeston Town Centre GP 1986 - before Bath Street was pedestrianised

main.php

Derby Cattle Market

main.php

main.php

main.php

Following our illustrious racing career my old bike was relegated to training bike, sixth form hack and finally lost at the back of my Mum and Dad's garage for the best part of 20 years.

Fast forwards to 2012 and the time has come to re-build my old Mercian.

This time the plan is to rebuild it with all of the parts that I couldn't afford back then when I was just a schoolboy using the proceeds from my paper-round and pocket money!

I still had the old Super Record front and rear mechs, Suntour shifters and the bar / stem etc. but having spent a few hours on Ebay, I have now got a lovely Super Record Chainset too.

main.php

I now need brakes, hubs, rims, tyres (or tubs) bar tape and still need to decide upon the seat!

This is how the bike looked when it was first built up back in 1985/6; complete with Suntour Cyclone front mech, MAVIC chainset second hand GP4 rims and MAVIC 501 hubs.

main.php

Lovely photos thanks for posting! I have some nice 80s campag wheels from a Concorde Team PDM bike available if you are still looking...

That's a fantastic story! I do like a restoration of a bike with personal history involved. I'll be looking forward to the outcome. Great BITD pictures too! :)

bikenut2010":1m09y1wc said:
Lovely photos thanks for posting! I have some nice 80s campag wheels from a Concorde Team PDM bike available if you are still looking...

Do you have some more details? PM me. Thanks

What a fantastic story complete with pictures, thanks for posting.

Looking forward to seeing the bike finished...and in use ;)

Some close ups of some of the bits - this is all after hours of cleaning, polishing and touching up all of the rusty bits on the frame though. The white sections had started to rust so these have been repainted with radiator enamel (yes really!) and the other rusty bits on the frame have been sanded down and repainted in black enamel paint - the purple colour is hard to match but the black looks ok, a bit like an English Heritage restoration!

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Back