Old steel frame new groupset

ed_de_ball

Dirt Disciple
I have a late 1960's steel framed bike and looking at putting a up to date groupset on it. What would you recommend?

I'd think about things like spacing for the wheels and if the frame is OK with allen key fittings for brakes and the like.........

Then go for 70's stuff :)

Shaun

Modern rear wheels are 130mm spacing. Yoiur frame will be 120mm rear spacing, this is your biggest problem. You could fit a sturmey archer 5 speed hub built into a rear wheel in that frame and shift of a down tube shifter.

It's that or run a 2x 5 speed drive train of down tube shifter or bar end shifters.

I've been using this frame with a 6 speed block on down tube changers. The LBS says 'depends on the spacing on the bottom bracket, but shimano sora and tiagra fit pritty much all frames'

Attachments

• Photo0476a.jpg
    Photo0476a.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 707
That does look nice!

It's better to have a bike on the road with non-period kit than off, but you'll have less hassle fitting period components.

With a little patience it needn't be costly if, like Shaun says, you avoid the premium stuff.

Modern Shimano is pretty ugly too: like fitting alloys and a bodykit on an E-Type!

That's an absolutely cracking period frame. I'm seeing Chater Lea, Airlite etc. Worth the hunt and cost as you're starting with something so good.

It's got to be old stuff, it just looks right. If you want modern buy a retro styled modern frame that will work with new kit. There's no point trying to force a round brick through the square hole. ;)

Back