The MS Racing/alpinestars story.

An excellent article, wonder if the lifetime warranty still applies, My early Al Mega frame is still going strong after 21 years

kula":1u4t4hij said:
An excellent article, wonder if the lifetime warranty still applies, My early Al Mega frame is still going strong after 21 years

yes it is , but you now get a pair of gloves instead of a frame :LOL:

My cro mega had purple megalites :cool:

IMAG1756.jpg

hi
noticed this while reading the thread....

1989 MS RACING (4 models produced)

- 2 steel framed models were produced, the Comp XT and the Pro Comp XT. Both equipped with Shimano Deore XT as their names suggest,
the only differences between the two was the standard of the finishing kit. The Pro Comp XT enjoyed some use as a team bike on occasions.

there is an ms racing comp xt for sale on here. has mountain LX as component group not XT.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... lpinestars

i just recently picked one of these up and it too has the mountain LX components.
i'm guessing the XT was in name sake only. bike didn't come with XT componemts.
any one else have one of these?
roy

Retro_Roy":h7mtgqin said:
hi
noticed this while reading the thread....

1989 MS RACING (4 models produced)

- 2 steel framed models were produced, the Comp XT and the Pro Comp XT. Both equipped with Shimano Deore XT as their names suggest,
the only differences between the two was the standard of the finishing kit. The Pro Comp XT enjoyed some use as a team bike on occasions.

there is an ms racing comp xt for sale on here. has mountain LX as component group not XT.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... lpinestars

i just recently picked one of these up and it too has the mountain LX components.
i'm guessing the XT was in name sake only. bike didn't come with XT componemts.
any one else have one of these?
roy
I believe you are correct that the Pro Comp XT was XT in name only, however the only ones i've seen have Deore groupsets and not mountain LX. But whose to say to say they didn't spec a few differently at the end of the year to clear them or someone did a transplant on the bike to upgrade another stead.

hi
found this one on the last page of the `show us your.....' thread.
another ms racing comp xt with mountain LX. still haven't seen a comp xt with xt. :)
haven't found a pro comp xt at all.
these ms racing bikes aren't that commom i take it?
certainly not in my area.
more so in usa.
alpinestars are a dime a dozen compared to them.
will put up a picture of my comp xt when i get one taken.
roy

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... s&start=60

Re:

Great history!

I just found at the bottom of my junk pile an MS Racing Pro Comp XT. All Deore XT groupset, not sure what the rims and hubs are yet. I'd started harvesting parts for other projects, but something about the frame made me stop, luckily, so I'd only previously removed the rear calipers but didn't re-use them. Hopefully they're in the workshop.

Everything except the chain is in working order, so this is now on my project list.

In your research, did you discover how many bikes MS Racing produced in 1989?

Re:

Hi, no never got to the bottom of production numbers. Although I did hear only numbers in the high teens were made of the alpinestars ti-mega.

Enjoy the MS Racing, nice bikes.

Re:

I just found this thread from a link on facebook. Good history. I sold Alpinestars bikes brand new at the shop in which I worked in the early 90's.
I have one correction to the history in the original post. The 1991 T-24 bike did not have 24" wheels as mentioned in the original post, but rather 26" wheels just like the 1992 T-26. The T-24 was so named not because of wheel size, but for the stand-over height of 24", the smallest of any full size wheel bike available at the time. The name was changed to T-26 the following year because everyone assumed the T-24 from the previous year referred to wheel size. The T-24 and T-26 were the same size and used the same size wheels.
My 5'0" wife rode one of these as her backup bike from 1991 to about 2005. They were great for petite riders from a size standpoint, but the cro-moly bike was so flexy that it changed gears by itself when she was climbing aggressively on it.

Latest posts

Back