Retro Road Ride - Gospel Pass Saturday 17th November 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I went riding and actually had to cut it short. I was going like a dog. Breathing was rubbish and heart rate way too high. It could be I had a bit of a cold but equally it could just be I'm crap again. The small level of fitness just evaporated.

I am pricing up some gears, (I will need a nine speed Crapnagolo cassette and a matching chain) and want to do Gospel but I think that 65-70 miles will be too far for me.

Iwasgoodonce":lzy7g77r said:
Well, I went riding and actually had to cut it short. I was going like a dog. Breathing was rubbish and heart rate way too high. It could be I had a bit of a cold but equally it could just be I'm crap again. The small level of fitness just evaporated.

I am pricing up some gears, (I will need a nine speed Crapnagolo cassette and a matching chain) and want to do Gospel but I think that 65-70 miles will be too far for me.

Come along and if it goes tits up i'll 'do an oates' and tootle back with you. Does your breathing get worse when it's colder? Could be mild asthma. I'm the same without pre-ride drugs (no comment on pro-cycling intended!!) shite breathing and heart rate way up even when fit. Best bet is to chuck away the heart rate monitor :)

Weather was great here today, sunny but with a crisp feel to the air - fingers crossed we get the same this time next week.

Looks like we've got a good group, PM me for directions to the start and/or home phone number in case there is a delay or hold up - we'll obviously hang on if you're running late but don't really want to if you're unable to make it at short notice.

About 1.5hrs from me in Evesham...I've always wanted to ride the 'Pass' so am uber excited and hope weather behaves :D

Just got in from Club ride the weather is ace here!!! :cool:

Lets hope it holds for Gospel !!!

Looking forward to meeting the new faces too :cool:

Do we know what the rough plan is regarding route? Just wondering if we are planning the 60-70 miles with no obvious breaks? Don't mind but would need to bring enough water/food, etc., and then squirrel it away in my back pockets. Then again, a short cafe stop after 40 miles might be a nicer social thing to do...and I won't have to work out how to wazz on the move ;)

bobbinogs":dicwn1tz said:
Do we know what the rough plan is regarding route? Just wondering if we are planning the 60-70 miles with no obvious breaks? Don't mind but would need to bring enough water/food, etc., and then squirrel it away in my back pockets. Then again, a short cafe stop after 40 miles might be a nicer social thing to do...and I won't have to work out how to wazz on the move ;)

Route will be rough but there is definitely a plan ;)

In 'villages we will go through' terms, we'll be going Hampton Bishop - Holme Lacey - Kings Thorn - Wormelow - Orcop - Bagwyllidiart - Kentchurch - Skenfrith - Llanfihangel Crucorny (entry to Gospel Pass) - Llanthony - Capel-y-ffin - Hay on Wye and then back to Hereford via the quiet road.

Apart from in Hay-on-Wye where there is a really good cake shop, there aren't really any cafes but there is a handy pub at Llanthony where you can refill your bottle and buy chocolate etc. (it was also 'The Slaughtered Lamb' in An American Werewolf in London). Bottom line is take some cash but also plan to be pretty self sufficient with some food in your pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back