Modern Crap

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Transmission aren't what they were. I never get problems from my 3x7 Shimano kit and only have to tweak the adjusters on the Suntour stuff. However the modern stuff on my Kula is junk. The original Deore cassette wore out in less than 300 miles causing a chain to snap but I thought it was just the chain so I replaced that, then it started jumping so I replaced the cassette. Having read that Shimano stuff was now junk I went with SRAM and everyone seemed to rave about the PC980 (saying that if it was on sale and only a few pounds more than the 970 buy it) so I found one at a good price and bought it.
2 months, 3 rides and 35 miles later and this is it:

IMG_20121111_095354_1041.jpg

It decided to collapse on an upshift on the way out of the carpark in Peaslake this morning, I spent 4 miles trying to work out what was wrong with the gears and why they had a mind of their own, when we spotted that we were on our way back to do a loop on the other side of the hill but I cut it short.

I don't ride hard only for leisure and the 7's kit I have lasts ages, but this stuff is junk, this should have been nearly £80. Hopefully PlanetX will exchange it for another but I am not sure I'd have much faith in it.

So much for progress. Also had a BB cease on me on this bike and these are nearly as crap as the cup and cone ones we used to have, gone backwards there too.

Carl.

I'm sure 10 speed is much stronger, maybe you should change your whole groupset to that!!! :roll:

I have ridden nine and tens but I stick to eight for myself.

It makes sense that things get more fragile as materials get thinner, etc., but there seems to be an issue of 'not fit for purpose' at some point.

You sure you didn't have some contact that started the rot with that sprocket?

Truly poor performance from supposedly rugged components.

highlandsflyer":3ec35d2r said:
You sure you didn't have some contact that started the rot with that sprocket?

Definitely not on this one, first two rides were fairly easy affairs (one was 20 miles on canal paths) and then this morning 200yds out of the car park I tried to change up and it started. Will be taking it out of the car in a while and cleaning it off so can remove and fully inspect it.

Carl.

Sometimes shit fails.

BITD, 7 speed stuff broke too.

Do we, as consumers, honestly expect 100% reliability in everything we buy?

Russell":3mw6wxnp said:
Do we, as consumers, honestly expect 100% reliability in everything we buy?

No but if they replace it an the new one lasts maybe i'll change my mind, but I do get more problems with the 1 new bike than the 3 old ones in regular use.

Carl.

GRD, Warpedboy2 and myself stoped at the village shop in peaslake this morning and there was a guy there with some flash Ti single speed that had the middleburn right had crank arm sheared rite off at the BB shell :shock: ... going to be an expensvive fix i recon !!

That's it then, all Middleburn stuff must be shite too.

I wonder, as components become more high tech and tolerances tighten, how many 'just riding along' failures are genuinely down to quality control, and how many are due to improper installation or maintenance.

The only kit I've ever had fail on me has been due to crash damage, poor spanner work on my behalf, or plain old bad luck (bits of tree through rear mechs or rocks hitting the chainset and breaking the chain, that kind of thing).

godders":n9ool43y said:
GRD, Warpedboy2 and myself stoped at the village shop in peaslake this morning and there was a guy there with some flash Ti single speed that had the middleburn right had crank arm sheared rite off at the BB shell :shock: ... going to be an expensvive fix i recon !!

Lifetime warranty.

Back