Re naming a frame?

oldgit

Retro Guru
What's the considered view here.
I have a complete 1986 bike steel of unknown tubing that came over from Italy this year.
It is full Shimano 600 EX/SIS 6 speed
F.I.R rims
Modolo kit
The frame is badged up as a Rampon, and only the number 53 is stamped on the BB shell. It's seems quite nice. slotted BB, heart cut outs on lugs, ends of chain and seat stays are nicely scalloped, chrome c/stay and forks and internal TT cabling.

It could do with a respray, but I can't find much on Rampon, and can't find any Rampon decals
Is it the done thing to get it badged by the refinisher? i.e Bob Jackson, Ellis Briggs etc.

If you were ever looking to sell it on, I personally would rather buy a (Rare) Rampon as apposed to what used to be a Rampon with Bob Jackson (or the like), logos. But that might be just me.

decals

Have a word with nick at lloyds. You can find his site on google. He will make you copies of the originals if he has non in stock
Regards
Peter

Whatever you do, make sure you take some good photos of how it is now. For the decals, I'd either get the originals copied or design your own based on period lettering and so on.

Thanks. Luckily the lettering is just plain block and the head tube badge is quite simple in design.
I could replace the head badge with a simple large 'R' though
7519856168_2c16fcf9ff_z.jpg

I would be dubious of renaming a frame, particularly if it was with a well respected, "premium" brand like Bob Jackson.

If the company is only a paintshop that's one thing, but if they also build frames that's another: it isn't standard practice to badge a bike with the sprayer's name, so the assumption would be that the name was that of the framebuilder.

As has already been pointed out, new decals are easy enough to source so there is no need to lose the original branding.

It may not concern you, but you'll get a very different reaction from other cyclists with a Rampon, than you will when you explain it's not a Bob Jackson, just sprayed by him.

Back