1988 Stumpjumper "Team" - Sold and gone.... :-(

this will be good... I really want a build like this, when I finished my current projects ;)

What size is that? The Team has a bit steeper head angle hasn't it?

Catalogue correct would be Shimano Deore XT hubs (M730), Specialized GX-26 rims (grey anodised) laced with 14g Wheelsmith stainless spokes.

Period correct would be any of these (copied from the MOMBAT timeline of components http://mombat.org/Timeline.htm):

Rims: Araya RM20/25, Sun Mistral M20/M25, Sumo, Matrix Singletrack, Araya MP2, Mavic Oxygen M6 (silver, black, hard anno), Specialized GX26/GX28, Mavic MA2/40 (rolled down by Keith Bontrager), Wolber AT20, Araya 7X, Weinmann 420, Ritchey Vantage

Nice bike.I will keep track of your build.Since i have a 1989 Team stumpjumper.From what i have seen ,the 88 team has the same decals as the 89 team.I would be interested in the decals when you get them.I will try to build it to catalog specs. :D

At last I've pulled my finger out and dropped the frame and forks off at LSN Coatings in Casvegas for powdercoating, I've gone for white with a slight metallic silver effect, should be ready in a few weeks time :)

Equipment wise it's a bit of a mish-mash for the moment, and I'm still pondering whether to run it singlespeed or perhaps 1x7 :?

I'm stuck on what 1" stem of decent quality is roughly period correct though...

Right, picked up the frame from the powdercoaters a few days ago, I'm very happy with the results. Apparently they powdercoat the frame white then apply a clearcoat layer which has the metallic particles in it.
It's not too clear in the pics but when it catches the light it's a very nice glittery metallic effect :D

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Are you sure the metal flakey particles aren´t too large? My 88 RockHopper has the same white/ivory paint but the nacre particles are a bit finer.

Next question: do you plan to get the rear painted in grey and put some decals on it?

Anyway; nice frame! I´m curious how this build will be finished. :D

No I'm not going for a catalogue correct reproduction, if I was then you are right and the metallic bits in the paint would be too large.

Already have decals from gil_m, will get some pics of them fitted tomorrow :)

Back