Down tube or bar end shifters

Why are people, who I presume are old enough to know better, using the word "shifter", they're gear levers or controls!!

A few years ago I noted a rider on the side of the road clutching his knee and had blood pouring down his leg!

Turns out he had come off his bike and the bar end gear lever had stabbed into the side of his knee-cap...Ouch.

I was lead to believe the longer and more convoluted cable run on bar-end shifters made for a sluggish change, but I've never had chance to compare; one of my slickest shifts is on my old Bertin with friction shifting early shimano 600...

Attachments

• DSC00975.jpg
    DSC00975.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 312
@bikenut2010,
no difference at all to the crispness of the shift. I run the outers all the way under the tape and need tandem cables for my 27" frames and the shift is as crisp.

bar end

I fitted bar end shifters to one of my bikes - mainly because it was 8 speed. They're fine. The biggest thing I find is that sometimes you want to quickly shift onto the small ring and change up at the back. With downtube levers you could do it with one hand quickly, seems to take much longer with bar end shifters (but that could be me just getting used to it).

Down tube shifters is what I prefer. Thjey just look better to my eyes. I prefer then to STI's/Ergo;s.

The bikes 1960s, but I think I am going to go with down tube I think they look better and cleaner, they are easier to use and I don't fancy getting one jammed into my knee. Thanks everyone.

Ian Raleigh":2l7l15o3 said:
A few years ago I noted a rider on the side of the road clutching his knee and had blood pouring down his leg!

Turns out he had come off his bike and the bar end gear lever had stabbed into the side of his knee-cap...Ouch.

Nasty. Suddenly those little rubber widgets that fit on the end of down-tube and bar-end levers don't seem purely decorative after all.

David

Back