Campag 10 speed rear mech

Apple Tree

GT Fan
I wish to purchase a new Campagnolo 10 speed rear derailleur. I am being offered a Short or Medium which presumably relates to the arm length which then relates to the number of chainring/cassette teeth you wish to cover. Also possibly the largest cassette cog you can mount.

Does anyone have any specifics ?

Many thanks.

Count up the total tooth difference it has to handle. This will then tell which mech to choose. Triples or wide range cassettes definitely need the medium cage.

The biggest sprocket size you can use with either is 29, and the short cage will work with 34x50 with 13-29 i.e. totalgear capacity of 32. Any more and you'll likely need the medium cage.

I ran medium cage when I was running 13-29 because that's what Campag recommended.

Not tried a short one - but my understanding was that short cage only went up to 26T.

And long cage is for triples.

Lots of folks have successfully run a short cage mech with a 29 sprocket, despite what the Campagnolo tech docs say. Have a Centaur short cage mech on one of my CX bikes and grateful for the 29 sprocket when riding offroad on the Southdowns on Sunday!

Latest posts

Back