Lubricants

Thanks for the responses, it seems it is a personal opinion as to what is best.

Two further questions -

Blue loctite - where would you use it?
Is silicon spray any good for lubrication?

Thanks for all your answers so far, it is great to see the varied responses.

TGR":9o2hjucp said:
Thanks for the responses, it seems it is a personal opinion as to what is best.
Two further questions -
Blue loctite - where would you use it?
Is silicon spray any good for lubrication?
Thanks for all your answers so far, it is great to see the varied responses.

Only time I would use Loctite would be on the Bottom Bracket cups to stop then from coming un-done, never on other small nuts/bolts.

I'd never use silicone spray on a bike! Deadly on the braking surfaces and even deadlier if you are daft enough to want new looking tyres.

3 in 1 works just don't apply too much. It's got the benefit of being cheap.

I use rock n roll lubes on my chains and there super web grease for bearings. I personally would not use engine oil too lube a chain.

Ian Raleigh":34afsj4k said:
TGR":34afsj4k said:
Thanks - What about CopaSlip?
Copper Slip is best used on all threads on your bike and you won't regret using it, as parts will come apart with ease.

Especially where titanium bits are involved, apparently it helps to prevent the "galling" phenomenon where Ti fasteners expand slightly (I think it's an electrolytic thing) and seize.

David

I think it would be really useful to get a collective view on this ...

Usually anything that is threaded I will use Copperslip.

That included pedal threads, BBs, threaded headsets, bottle cage mounts and brake fittings.

Anything that moves get cycle grease, more expensive but comes in a nice convenient tube so less messy. This is used for headset, BB, pedal & hub bearings.

Grease is also used on headset cups before they are pressed in ...

Chain lube is personal preference. I use Finish Line Dry on raod bikes all year round and Finish Line Wet Lube on the MTB.

GT85/WD40 is only used for cleaning not lubing.

Parafin is good for cleaning cassettes and chains, petrol & desil also work but the smell and risk of fire isn't worth it so I use parafin.

I think that just about covers it for me.

Back