Lest we forget

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
With remembrance Sunday coming up, I'd thought I'd share details of a brilliant book I finished reading last night.
It's called 'Men of Air' by Kevin Wilson, and it follows air crew from Bomber Command through the bombing campaign against mainland Europe.
I've read a lot of books about this period of history, and this is one of the best so far!

Our MMBC Sunday winter race series normally has a start time of 10:00am but for tomorrow the start time has been put back to 11:02 to allow for two minutes silence when everyone is on the start line.
It may be a small thing but I think that it's a proper and respectful gesture.

My Mum and Stepdad got married on 11/11/11 and the ceremony started at 11am. There was a 2 minute silence before the ceremony got underway.

We all wore poppies and people were encouraged to donate to the Poppy Appeal and Help for Heroes, rather than buying gifts.

Very touching, and a very nice gesture :)

I wanted to write about respect that I feel about RAF pilots (not only pilots) .But found this documentary, and Martin Shaw said that well enough for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qsu9HsYos

What I have to think about czechoslovakia RAF heroes which (if they managed to survive) was put to jail upon return to home. :?

I'm out for my first ride in a while on Sunday and by luck we are scheduled to pass the air forces memorial at runnemede at 11 ish. We shall be stopping to raise a hip flask for them.

dbmtb":5j2cuco4 said:
Presume you've read "Bomber Boys" then?

Is it even better then that?

I have indeed, and they're both good books, but I think this is better.
The way it's put together keeps you hooked. I had real trouble putting it down!
I don't want to ruin it, but the bit at the end where the author talks about the small memorials to downed aircraft dotted around Europe, made and maintained by locals, brings home just how poorly these men have been treated by the country they fought, and died, for.

You can get it on amazon for peanuts. Buy it, you won't regtret it.

I'll be at the Bomber Command Memorial in Green Park at 11am on Sunday.

I while ago, i read lost voices of ww1 and ww2 - very good collection of letters put in chronological order of various campaigns - very moving.

gavinda":1rfwvzjv said:
I'm out for my first ride in a while on Sunday and by luck we are scheduled to pass the air forces memorial at runnemede at 11 ish. We shall be stopping to raise a hip flask for them.

unlike the ignorant roadies who couldn't wait for five minute and walked through the crowd gathered at our village memorial during the wreath laying, it was five minutes out of your ride to pay respect to those that gave their lives so you ignorant tossers could dress in lycra and ride your halford specials, I hope your nuts shrivel up and you puntured more times than you had spare tubes today :evil:

alanf":o9xqga94 said:
gavinda":o9xqga94 said:

unlike the ignorant roadies who couldn't wait for five minute and walked through the crowd gathered at our village memorial during the wreath laying, it was five minutes out of your ride to pay respect to those that gave their lives so you ignorant tossers could dress in lycra and ride your halford specials, I hope your nuts shrivel up and you puntured more times than you had spare tubes today :evil:

We were at peaslake this morning at elleven ...lots of riders there, road and mountian bike, all stood for the two mins and then went there seperate ways ...respect shown by all.

Back