Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

Bought my Pinnacle frame new in 1990/91.

Forks supplied by Pace as an upgrade to my RC30's around the same time.

Cook Bros RSR supplied direct by Jack Whitmer at Cook Bros as a warranty replacement in 1993 as i could not get any joy through Evolution Imports. I wrote (no internet back then!) to Cook Bros in the US explaining the problem & a couple of weeks later a box showed up, containing a brand new set of RSRS, a cook bros t shirt & a hand written letter apologizing for the trouble.

P4081259.jpg

P4081244-1.jpg

P4081248-1.jpg

P4081250-1.jpg

P4081242-1.jpg

P4081249-1.jpg

Still got my old Rocky Ridge that I've had from new, totally original too, still got the original Marin Lite tyres.

Bit of a poignant one this...

I've had my '92 Stumpjumper Comp since new; bought with insurance money after my '89 Stumpjumper got nicked.

1st pic was taken in late '92 at a race at Lightwater Valley. I was was riding in the Newcastle Poly MTB team, but we didn't have any team tops, so was still sporting my Fenland Clarion top.

A few months later, I crashed; buggering my knee and snapping an XLite bar-end. That was my last race on this bike... :'-(

Fast forward 20yrs to the 2nd pic. Here's the pink warrior ready for action at Lincs Cyclocross this weekend. I've done two CX events on my '11 SJ Comp HT, but it felt really cumbersome. I'm sure the pink warrior will do me proud. :)

Attachments

• 92Stumpy_Nov12.JPG
    92Stumpy_Nov12.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 92Stumpy_92.jpg
    92Stumpy_92.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 497
Ahh, Fenland Clarion. many a Friday night spent racing in a gravel pit near Peterborough with the Clarke family. The precursor the the FNSS we put together bitd and is still running today.

Oh yes, it sure is a Fenland Clarion top :) I may still have it somewhere.

Ian Clarke got the MTB section up and running BITD - was a brilliant time, though short lived as I went off to Poly Sept 91. Was that Kingscliffe pits?

Heck, did it have a name! It would have to have been early 90's as we started the FNSS in 92 or 93 I think.

I remember the course one huge drop with a muddy pond at the bottom and lots of twists and turns. There was a river, or canal at the bottom of the property and I think the Nene valley railway on one side. I remember one, I think, Christmas race up there... my buddy was sooo hung over... not pretty.. I have lots of photos of races there at the house. Ian would always have a warm up race before the main event on the summer races... I remember the 'devil' race one week... we were all trying to be at the back to avoid extra laps!

lol, fantastic!

Sadly, I never managed to get over as I was only 16 when I joined and it was too far for me to cycle over from Spalding! I know they used to go up there a fair amount whilst I was there (89-91). We also used to go to Eye pits, but it's now a fancy shopping outlet. That wet claggy brick clay was evil!!!!

Back