WHOO HOO!!!!

I got your pm.
well I sort of know my way round, been up there most days for the last three months or so! But I don't know the named trails I just go to the tower and aim downhill and see where I end up. OK it's a little better than that.
I can find my way to summer lightning and I know of several other paths clearly altered/laid out for bikes.
I don't do mornings, so can't really show you round.
I don't know how your getting there.
If you are in Coldharbour: Go up the hill to the cricket club and go through the gate, keep going more or less straight and the path will head
left. when you get a right bend with a choice of two steep paths straight on go up one of them[I go for the right hand one] keep on that path
and you will arrive at the path cross roads below the tower. The steep bit ahead goes up to the tower. About 50 yards up the steep bit take the path on your right, it winds around and comes out at the top of the path you were on, but it's not really steep.

To find summer lightning, I can find it from almost anywhere, it's off wolvern lane which is the 4x4 byway that goes from coldharbour to wooton, so you head east and you can't miss it. Not that I have tried doing that. Find you way back to coldharbour cricket club[back the way you came]. Don't go thru the gate back onto the path down to the village, but turn left[behind the cricket club house] and keep on the path down the hill, the path will branch to the right, It's hard to describe, you will end up on wolverns lane a few yards before the summer lighting sign. The sign isn't at the beginning, follow the path that runs parallel to the path you got to wolvens lane on, after a couple of hundred yards you will see another sign that's the start.
Summer lightning is in three sections, it ends up back on wolvens lane, and then you can get up on the side of wolvens lane and follow it for quite a way. You can obviously ride back up wolvens lane to get to coldharbour, you come out at the bottom of the hill up to the cricket club.

I don't think there is much if you take the path that heads west from the tower, it heads down to the carparks, it's not steep and it's the way you see most people riding up to the tower.

There is another track which has arrows painted on trees. When you at the tower take the path that heads north west, that if london is north;-)
you will find a section laid out for bikes, whatever you call bit's that go up and down a lot, it's all over the place just off the main footpath.
If you are on the path and keep an eye out for arrows painted on trees there is a track near the arrows. I added a picture from the main footpath, you can see the arrow on the tree and bike tracks, I followed the bike tracks.

All clear as mud? I will have to get up and come up there with you I think, can't do that tomorrow morning though. But if your in a car and wanted to stop and collect me I might be able to do that.

Attachments

• arrows-trees.jpg
    arrows-trees.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 681
Hi Mate,

Thanks for that, I'm sure we'll find something from that :)

Micks got to work in the morning it turns out, so we are postponing until Sunday morning.

I get the train up to Haywards Heath, then Mick gives me a lift up in his van. It only has two seats so we can't unfortunatly pick anybody else up :(

Heres a rough sketch. There is a path from everywhere to everywhere, well it seems like that;-) The scale is well off and don't expect to find the paths to have bends where I put wiggles or vice versa, but that is roughly the paths to get to summer lightning and to the tower. You can see that as long as you head east you should hit Wolverns lane. The pic is the sign on Wolverns lane, it's hard to miss, but turn to your left as you go past the sign and you will find another sign after a few hundred yards. The line from the pub to Wooton is Wolvens lane.

Attachments

• s_lightning1.jpg
    s_lightning1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 669
  • map-sketch.jpg
    map-sketch.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 669
Back