Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

Bought my Blizzard frame new in 1995 and it's still going strong all these years later. Just like it's owner it's gone through some changes during the last 17 years :LOL:

1. Probably around 1997: The result of looking at too many pictures of Greg Herbold's and Yeti's team bikes... :oops:

2. Early 2000s: All-round trail rocket.

3. 2012: An overgrown BMX for an overgrown kid.

Looking at these builds, the only thing that has remained constant over the years is the rear Magura Raceline. I'm actually thinking about turning it back into a trail rig, quite interested in trying out a hardtail again after a few years on FS.

Attachments

• Blizzard3.jpg
    Blizzard3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 865
  • Blizzard2.jpg
    Blizzard2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 865
  • Blizzard1.jpg
    Blizzard1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 865
I bought the KHS from Hardisty Cycles in Newcastle mid 1993 with the Rapidfire shifters swapped for thumbies. It was my only bike for over 15 years and got a lot of use so many parts have been replaced after wearing out, though it hasn't quite turned into Trigger's broom yet. I'll even be riding it tonight.
Liked it so much my only other bike is a copy of the KHS's geometry.

Full stories of both my MTBs are on my sig, but in summary I have both my original bikes - only ones I've owned. Bought my first proper MTB from Halesowen Cycles in 1994 (Saracen Maxtrax) and looked like this:

front_old_892.jpg

and later like this

watersplash_581.jpg

Rode the wheels of it until the day I hit a wet drain lid at 40mph and trashed quite a lot of stuff (including me). This is currently mid slow-rebuild and looks like this (with the Zaskar's wheels):

front_276.jpg

With the insurance money I bought myself one of these frames and transferred most of the components over:

1_bobsbash_96_190.jpg

(That mom attempted to trash)
2_mom_96_119.jpg

This looked like this when I dragged it out the garage last year:

3_postgarage_440.jpg

and now looks like this (front left)

RB-Long-Mynd-11.jpg

Not really sure I want to buy any more bikes (shock, horror) love my Zaskar too much :)

In 1992 I had a second hand Roberts White Spider in 16'' size, and had been using a 400mm seat post for too long, and had Saved up my Student loan to buy a D.o.g.s B.o.l.l.o.x in the right size, While in Bromley bike discussing this, I was show the fat Chance book and told i could buy a Wicked lite for the same money. Hmm, A few weeks later I'd decided I'd rather have a top bike rather than the second one down, and a Yoeddy was ordered.

In September 1993 i walked in with £1400 of hard earned cash and left with a Yoeddy Frameset, with Manitou 3's (the latest model), Syncros Stem and Seatpost.
a year later it looked like this :

main.php

between 1994 and 2000 the forks and bulls eye snowflake wheel were swapped for the Judy's and a Ringlé wheel. But by 2005 it had ended up like this when i joined Retrobike.

main.php

by the 2007 Southdowns meet it looked like this:
main.php

and currently looks like this:

main.php

I haven't got any early pics of my C-16 to hand unfortunately but here is is now. Bought from Stif in Leeds in early '95; still has the original forks, wheels (new rear rim) and stem on it (also the headset in that picture; recently changed for a King Gripnut as the bearings died) but I do still have the bars, seatpost, brakes, mechs and seat about.

My workhorse. Still regularly ridden despite having all the others.

IMGP2611.jpg

Not sure if this counts but I bought my GT Team RTS frame as new old stock after I joined this site looking to restore my RTS 2 but discovering the frame was cracked. I kitted out with NOS (modern) XTR and crossmax and I still have it a few years on. I would still have the RTS2 had it not cracked and chose to stick with the RTS as it was the bike I had back in the day.

I'll add some pics if it qualifies.

Bought my Butler new in 1993 from Berkshire Cycles in Crowthorne, bike still visits there for wheel truing from time to time.

Carl.

My Voodoo was mine from the shop new... the wife's Kona AA was from a good friend.... who still has his Hei-Hei stashed away!

thats mine - owned from new since 1996
changed from Maguras to V's, a Flite, new wheels and tires, aso.
how it looks till arround 2007

100_4436.jpg

when I started to read here I decided to rebuild the bike to its original spec. - gladly I did store most of the OE parts over the years, so it was quite easy to achieve

P1010067.jpg

its my first bike and I love it and it will be mine till I'm dead and gone :)

Back