Campagnolo nine speed question

foz":2ri9li4w said:
the curved lever hoods are found on both pre and post 2001 ergos, so don't rely on them alone when determining which year a part is from!

The only outward difference is a cosmetic one - something to do with style & position of logos if I remember rightly (possibly "9 Speed" on the front of the lever body pre '01 & on the brake lever itself thereafter??).

David

Also the internals are easily swapped so an old set might have the later cable pull. My 1994 Record Ergos started out life as 8 speed but easily converted to 9 with a new ratchet unit.

grilla":20igohm2 said:
Understood, loud and clear!

Not to find some 175mm chorus or record cranks...

are you still looking for cranks grilla ? I have some alloy 175 records (and an italian bb) here that came with a merckx frame , the "writing" has all been polished off though :(

Hamster. Might I ask exactly how?
Popular rumour has it that 9 can become 10 but 8 can't change. Even Mercian told me that.
I prefer my 8's but would love to swap them about but have never tried due to the above idea.
As the 8's are top quality they are so much nicer to use than my modern Veloce's

There is a little filing to do apparently. I bought mine off my LBS mechanic in Singapore in 2000...9 speed pointy top Record Ti Ergos. From what I understand pointy tops were all originally 8. Mine are very early ones with only a single spiral spring. The ratchet is pre-2001 9 speed.

latman":3gdq7l2t said:
grilla":3gdq7l2t said:
Understood, loud and clear!

Not to find some 175mm chorus or record cranks...

are you still looking for cranks grilla ? I have some alloy 175 records (and an italian bb) here that came with a merckx frame , the "writing" has all been polished off though :(

Thanks for the offer latman, but my vanity calls for the writing on the arms :oops: Sorry for the delay, for some reason I stopped getting email notifications that this thread was still going. And thank you to everyone for their insights...

agentorange":3voftu5v said:
grilla":3voftu5v said:
It's a bloody tangles isn't it...

So when were the carbon parts introduced?!

A good idea would be to look through the Campagnolo catalogues in the catalogue section of this site,

Completely forgot about how extensive this was, so thanks for the prompt. Jeez, Campagnolo have made some beautiful parts! Actually looking at swapping up from 9 to 10s at the moment, so if anybody has chorus/record unwanted parts then by all means send me a PM. Also after some skeleton brakes whilst I think of it. Fairly limited budget mind :roll:

I'll jump on this thread rather than start another if that's OK? I run a full Ergo 9 speed set up. Would an 8 speed wheel work with the 9 speed Ergo shifters?

dbmtb":ae7v613w said:
No. It wouldn't. Tooth profiles are different.

Try and find a new hub - would be easiest.

Thought that to be the case. Thank's for confirming it. I think my next bike will be a nice Shimano build.

Back