Show us yer FSR's

GlenPxC":2ond8xp1 said:
For those of you who repainted and added new decals, where did you get them made?

Also, ideas for a good paint stripper that will get the job done so I don't have to wet sand much?

decals: Gil_m on this forum (he's a busy chap though)

paint stripper: nitromors (although the old stuff is better - new stuff has poor reviews). there is a thread on in here somewhere. search for it and you'll come across some other recommendations.

my 2 fsr's

IMG_0177.jpg

281091_10151101420728230_1484005753_o.jpg

A few more mods to mine :)

Retro DH crossbrace handlebars from a RB member (cheers)
32mm gold stem, how quickly does it turn in now? :D
Drilled out all cable stops and ran full outer cables
Shimano XT m737 rear mech to replace the m739 mech that fell off a few weeks back
KMC chain
Shimano XT front mech to replace the LX mech that fell off due to the rear mech falling apart a few weeks back :D
New set of bushes for the 2001 Z1 Drop off forks (£16 auction on ebay FTW)

Rebuilt the wheels with some new/spare hubs that i painted copper, i also converted the front to 9.5mm bolt on axle and the rear to a 180x10mm rear axle (to secure the onza rear brake adapter a little nicer, previously it was a 175mm axle)

20120804_111348.jpg

20120804_111415.jpg

20121107_142039.jpg

20121107_142138.jpg

Riding quite nicely, but when the rear mech fell apart, snapping the chain and damaging the front mech, it also snapped my rear mech hanger :( i had a spare on my old 98 GC so i have used that, but the smaller rear cogs are not happy and like to skip/jump a little, i can see the mech is out of line a touch, will look into it.

Here is how i managed the 6 miles home after my gears went in a huff :D

20121021_130037.jpg

Ghetto singlespeed FTW

Head tube angle

Sooooooooo......... I've been thinking about the geometry of my 99 FSR DH compared to modern DH bikes. Newer bikes have a steeper headtube angle that helps with hitting large bumps dead on at high speeds or landing jumps hard nose first onto the forks.
I"ve got a master welder who works on NASCAR race frames. I'm thinking about cutting my head tube off and re-angling it; then adding a 200mm dual crown fork. I'm not too worried about the weld holding up (It was hand made to begin with).
Any ideas on how the angle might effect the geometry; pro or con?
When/if I do this I'll post some before and after pix.
Cheers!

Re: Head tube angle

DubDuck":yzx9aqz9 said:
Sooooooooo......... I've been thinking about the geometry of my 99 FSR DH compared to modern DH bikes. Newer bikes have a steeper headtube angle that helps with hitting large bumps dead on at high speeds or landing jumps hard nose first onto the forks.
I"ve got a master welder who works on NASCAR race frames. I'm thinking about cutting my head tube off and re-angling it; then adding a 200mm dual crown fork. I'm not too worried about the weld holding up (It was hand made to begin with).
Any ideas on how the angle might effect the geometry; pro or con?
When/if I do this I'll post some before and after pix.
Cheers!

Modern bikes are slacker than old bikes, which also extends the wheelbase and improves the stability of the bike on steep courses. I think the Monndraker DH bike has a head angle in the very low 60's and is about the slackest bike out there.

I personally wouldn't reweld the head tube back on....it just seems like there is too much to go wrong. My understanding is that aluminium doesn't reweld very well. You'd also be ruining a pretty rare frame.

You best option would be a Cane Creek angleset headset along with some offset shock bushes. This will keep the frame intact, lower the BB slightly and knock off a few degrees off the head angle.

Back