Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

I bought my P7 from leisure lakes, Bury in 94'
I'd already got a Clockwork but was offered this as they knew me and the poor bloke that owned it had been made redundant so needed to sell quick for the cash, lucky for me :)
So not quite bought from new but was only about 3 months old it still had the green grease in the spd's!
I dug it out from the back of my garage as been out riding on holiday this year and got the bug
Just need to save up for Tim at Fork English to service the RC35's
and away we go!

Attachments

• IMGP0006.JPG
    IMGP0006.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 1,103
I've owned Both of my current bikes from new, infact they are the only two proper bikes I've owned.

First my Rocky Mountain Hammer 1993, bought new from Crag Rat Cycles in Lincoln in 1993 after my Carrera Wakiloa was stolen.

Second, my Marin Quake 9 1997. Bought new in 1997 to replace my Hammer, this has been my main bike ever since, and has been upgraded over the year untill it is now only the main frame that is original, everything else is new. I'm hoping this Quake will last me a few more years yet, Personally I love the way it looks, and I'm rather attached to it. :)

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-03-09 20.59.48.jpg
    2012-03-09 20.59.48.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Quake-original.jpg
    Quake-original.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,062
  • _mg_5416_190.jpg
    _mg_5416_190.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • rm_dalby_184.jpg
    rm_dalby_184.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,062
Bought my Zaskar LE as a frame in 94 from Bike in Bristol (still there but now a Specialized store). Built it up over the next year with Brit bits mostly purchased from Somerset Bike's in W-s-M (also still there).

It's had a few minor additions over the years, and is still my regular ride.

DSC_0148.jpg

IMGP0267.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Still going strong.

Attachments

• 024_140.jpg
    024_140.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 956
  • 005a_111.jpg
    005a_111.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 956
  • ...Ignaz X......JPG
    ...Ignaz X......JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 956
This is the only one I have left:-

13072007200_small_145.jpg

The frame was a warranty replacement in 98 and its still going strong now.
I replaced the black Judy SL with another pair of yellow and black SL but that's the only change to it other than chains etc.
The setup is exactly as the last time I raced it in the good old days:)

I cant ride it as it is anymore though as after my accident, my shoulders wont take the position but I cant bear to change her :(

Still super fast and only 21lbs too :)

I still have my Gary Fisher Montare (in my sig) from when i originally purchased it in 1996.

It has recently (this year) undergone a restoration and i have added many period upgrades, it rides nice enough for me.
I would never sell it it as it has too much sentimental value :)

Great idea for a thread.

I rarely sell anything so still have the first few I bought.

1. '89 Mirage. Bent the frame in 91. Still hung up in my parent's garage. No pics. Now have another.

2. 91 GT Karakoram. Think the frame is in storage somewhere. Have all the bits to rebuild but not quite got round to it. Here is how it stood when last built in '03. Purchased from Bike Tech Cheltenham where I later worked for a period.

8163780546_c38e160a35_c.jpg

3. The Karakoram was replaced in early 93 (I think) by this 92 Cannondale M1000 which was bought from Mike Vaughan Cycles.

8163746269_4331a0ee3c_c.jpg

Rode this quite a lot. Wore through the original MD stuff in no time, replaced this with 'trick' stuff purchased on the proceeds of a summer job stacking pallets.

4. The 'dale was followed by a '91 Stumpjumper Comp purchased used with an accutrax disc. This was intended to be a hack to use at college. But due to the Manitou IIIs being shagged on the 'dale I ended up swapping the bits onto the stumpy. And it would seem also buying a Judy SL. Not really sure why. Anyhow here it is prior to the BUSA nationals, mid 90s I guess. Think the race was at Huddersfield or somewhere and I rode the downhill and XC, both badly.

8163781092_5ae95fb4ea_c.jpg

The bike is just behind me in the workstand.

4. The last new bike I bought in the 90s (and at all) was this '97 Litespeed Ocoee, purchased frame only. This is how it stood early '99.

8163781028_21a77fa9b6_c.jpg

Been through a few variations, still my main bike I guess, now with M952, crossmax, thomson and fox.

The litespeed is lovely, I like the matching forks and stem. :) I'm also quite fond of speedplay's Mongoose with the pair of spins. I have a soft spot for spins. :)

Simon.

Of mine, I've had the Breezer Storm from new (bought from John's Bikes in Bath when I worked there in 1992, and got me talking to SeeKay in Fairfax, when he approached me to say "I've got one of Joe's bikes as well"). The Breezer Ignaz X (just like in the picture above) I've had since I unpacked it new from its box in 1996. I've also owned both my DeKerfs from new (but am not sure if they count as retro yet).

Back