New cassette time? Advice and suggestions needed...

d00m

Retro Guru
Just built up a new bike, using some parts from my full sus, specifically the slx chainset, and xt cassette.
Now I've had this cassette 2 years near enough, and its seen 3 chains, but after installing chain number 4, it's skipping under heavy pedalling. I assume this is a chain too far :) and the profile/pitch of the cassette no longer gel with that of the new chain. The chainrings are fine, I'm not getting chain suck!

So, then question is, what's the best option for replacement? I like the xt cassette, as the 5 sprocket spider design makes it a bit kinder to my alloy free hub. Slx is 50g heavier, and a bit cheaper, but only 3 sprockets are carried on the spider, so would it wreck the free hub? The sram ones seem competitive on price, but some say they're heavier like for like, and don't perform as well, but do last longer!

Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom are much appreciated :)

i always use xt cassettes with a SRAM chain and i find it runs very smooth but other may think otherwise.

SLX cassettes are also good and smooth but if your a weight saver then go for XT :)

Carl

I've got an SLX cassette and its ok, but when it's up for replacement I'll get an XT one I think.

I ran a SRAM PG970 block and it lasted ages...if anything it was my best lasting block. The lower end SRAM stuf is a bit rubbish (and that's from a SRAM fan) so only buy one if its a higher end block.

SRAM PG990 - the ones with coloured alloy spiders are pretty but a bit heavier and more expensive thant XT.

if you can afford/justify an XT, then that is as good as it needs to be.

I wouldn't worry about the allloy freehub being mangled - it can get mangled so badly that the cassette cannot be removed but that is very rare - you can always pop the cassette off once in a while to see how the spline fare and tap down with a hammer and drift and burrs.

02gf74":46kumun7 said:
I wouldn't worry about the allloy freehub being mangled - it can get mangled so badly that the cassette cannot be removed but that is very rare - you can always pop the cassette off once in a while to see how the spline fare and tap down with a hammer and drift and burrs.

I would! For the sake of £20 or so, it's worth getting a block that won't mangle your freehub.

XT cassettes dig into alloy freehub bodies too. You've still sprockets that aren't on the spider.

Another XT cassette user here, but other than a bit of weight and a nicer lockring, you're not going to notice any difference between XT and SLX. I don't buy the 'SRAM cassettes last longer' stuff either.

Back