Careless teens - what to do? Now with new dilemma.

Well hopefully got the balance right on this one...

He went with me to thank the old couple who found the bike.
Keeping his money for the second bike - but he can work to earn it back - at home or at the shop.
Keeping the mesmeriser devices for a while - even he admits he's got an addiction problem and that they are probably causing him more hassle than he's having fun with them.
We're going to find a scrap bike which he's going to do up for station use only.
The good bike we got back is not allowed at the station any more - his aunt lives near the station so he can park it there and walk the last bit.

Wife thinks it's acceptable. I think it's acceptable. And he thinks its fair.

sylus":3jip0tq8 said:
Showing my age

I remember my daughter was an adidas trainers freak, 32 pairs at the last count at that stage.

She broke a door in a huff and we told her she had to pay for it by chores, she refused. The next time she needed trainers instead of adidas three stripe she got woolworths 4 stripe

The pier group pressure was so shamefull she did get her finger out and earnt that new door

Great job.

Dbmtb, i think you will have to go a bit abstract. Somewhat gone are the days whereby there are rules and guides for parenting that works for all.
Though i still dont know what you can do, to pose as authority and also to keep him onside rather than as an enemy.

Edit: Good to hear. But out of all of it, has he learned his lesson? Often shock value can leave strongest impressions. Not like overbearing and such, i mean things like taking him out of his comfort zone - even if just for a short while. Like going to see the couple who fine it. He probably doesnt want to say thanks (if shy etc,) but is going to anyway.

dbmtb":dqwf413d said:
Well hopefully got the balance right on this one...

He went with me to thank the old couple who found the bike.
Keeping his money for the second bike - but he can work to earn it back - at home or at the shop.
Keeping the mesmeriser devices for a while - even he admits he's got an addiction problem and that they are probably causing him more hassle than he's having fun with them.
We're going to find a scrap bike which he's going to do up for station use only.
The good bike we got back is not allowed at the station any more - his aunt lives near the station so he can park it there and walk the last bit.

Wife thinks it's acceptable. I think it's acceptable. And he thinks its fair.

Top banana ;)

I have become a right grumpy git at home now because of my teenage daughter.
I am so sick of repeating myself I just act now, lastnight saw me hiding her laptop charger as she just leaves things on and walks away. Telly, computer, lights everything is left on and walked away from.
Everynight I have to walk around the house turning everything off.
If it doesn't get better I am going to go on the pay as you go meter, put on what I would pay in a month and when it runs out we'll have no leccy until the next month. That'll soon learn 'em.

She does jobs to earn her allowance but it takes me 20 minutes of moaning to get her to wash up, which to be honest is the only thing she does any way.

It's all bloody facebook, skype and mobile phones :evil:

I had a bit of fear and respect for my parents, she has none.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off living in the bloody woods with the dog :LOL:

SNAKEBITER":18r3bbyt said:
I am so sick of repeating myself I just act now, lastnight saw me hiding her laptop charger as she just leaves things on and walks away. Telly, computer, lights everything is left on and walked away from.
Everynight I have to walk around the house turning everything off.
If it doesn't get better I am going to go on the pay as you go meter, put on what I would pay in a month and when it runs out we'll have no leccy until the next month. That'll soon learn 'em.

She does jobs to earn her allowance but it takes me 20 minutes of moaning to get her to wash up, which to be honest is the only thing she does any way.

It's all bloody facebook, skype and mobile phones :evil:

I had a bit of fear and respect for my parents, she has none.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off living in the bloody woods with the dog :LOL:

What router have you got? You should be able to set when each device can go on the internet... Works a treat in my house after certain people were going online very late at night....and randomly my younger step used to get up at literally 5am to get a few hours in on minigames before anyone else was up, and then wondered why he was a grumpy git the rest of the day! Worth a shot

SNAKEBITER":162xy7vm said:
I am so sick of repeating myself I just act now, lastnight saw me hiding her laptop charger as she just leaves things on and walks away. Telly, computer, lights everything is left on and walked away from.:

Quit whining... the missus is.. i wont say her age but she does the same.. laptop left on for hours when she goes out , lights blazing all over. FFS she left the oven on for 3 hours yesterday.

Back