Cannondale Scalpel 2011 - XX - sub 20lbs target build

Not much has happenned with the Scalpel since last time - no I haven't ridden it as I'd planned - but thing moving again now as spotted an ad selling a lightly used XX cassette and this is what I had been waiting for as new they are £$%& how much !!!
Fitted the X0 / XX kit to the bike today so now waiting (getting used to this ... :roll: ) for a 10 speed KMC-X10SL chain from Taiwan but in the meantime have to say how awesome the XX cassette is as a piece of engineering. I did buy a PG1070 cassette before new and thought thats a big lump of metal but the XX in exactly the same ratios is like a feather in comparison. They claim it takes 9 hours to CNC machine each one and I can believe it - spot the difference ? :shock:

Attachments

• xxcass.jpg
    xxcass.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,804
  • 1070cass.jpg
    1070cass.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,804
Finally finished the Scalpel ! (for now ... ) :D :D :D

scalpel.jpg

Really pleased how this has finished up and have learnt a lot on the way thanks to Cannondale and their odditties. Here's the spec ...

Cannondale Scalpel 2011 frameset with Fox RP23 shock - 80mm rear travel - and Cane Creek Si reducer headset
Rockshox SID Race forks with Pushloc
Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels and Ti skewers, Hutchinson Python Light UST tyres
Cannondale Si Carbon BB30 road chainset with Si ceramic bearings, SRAM 10 speed 34T chainring
SRAM X0 1 x 10 mech and shifter plus XX 11-36T cassette and KMC X10-SL chain
Avid Ultimate disk brakeset with 160/140 G3CS rotors
Syncros carbon Gain riser bars, Syncros FL 90mm stem, Syncros carbon 31.6 seatpost
Wellgo MG1 magnesium flat pedals
and finally for the Retrobikers ... Red Flite titanium saddle (1997)

Bike weight 21.2 lb

I've not tried it out properly yet but it feels very quick and you don't notice the suspension working - keep having to look at the shock - but very very smooth.
All in its come in under budget and under target weight even with fairly fat UST tyres and flat pedals so very happy with the end result.

Here's a few more piccies.

scalpel-rear2.jpg

scalpel2.jpg

scalpel-front.jpg

scalpel3.jpg

Super light XC bikes aren't usually my thing, but this is lovely (probably helps that I have a thing for Cannondales). Bet it absolutely flies.

Are you planning to fit a chain device or see how it goes?

Rumble":35z8kljv said:
Looks stunning, but aren't you going to lose your chain a lot?

I was wondering about this.
Never tried the 1 x 10 setup so will have to see if I need a chain device and also whether one will actually fit - most are for external BB aren't they ? It's a 10 speed non ramped chainring but when at the top or bottom of the range the chain is at quite an angle.
Not sure about the need for a long cage mech either tbh , SRAM recommend one for use with the large range cassette but I guess thats with a 2 or 3 x 10 up front. Would a short cage be better to keep tension ?

nice.

my latest aquisition is also Scalpel that is in the middle of a weigh reduction diet - I reckon I will get down to 9.3 so you have done really well or else our scales do not tally.

I'll be running 2x9, Lefty fork.

doesn't your frame have brake hose mounts on the chain stay? not seen one with rear hose routed like yours.

Hi, good choice on the Scalpel it really is unlike any other bike.
I'd love to go for weight loss on mine and get under the magic 20lb mark but that would take serious £££ so keen to see how you get on with yours. A Lefty would save a good bit of weight but they're not for me and changing wheels etc is too much at the moment. Mine's changed a little since the pics - now got an X0 BB30 2x10 chainset and XX shifters as I found I needed the granny ring and my bum was no longer Flite compatable and been replaced with a Ti railed Spoon type so think it's probably more like 10kg now.
You're right I do have chainstay hose guides but the brakes I bought didn't have a long enough rear hose to go that way hence the alternative route - I'll do it properly when the brakes get serviced ! :oops:

I ditched the 2x9 - ridden it a couple of times and since spend most of my time in middle ring of a 3 ring set up and in middle of cassette.

With 2x10 or 2x9 I could be in the big front/big rear or liuttle front./little rear so chaing uop or down would need chaing both front nad rear if you know what I mean.

Chain reaction were doing great deal on FSA K force so I fitted that - is lighter than the SRAM XX and even more wieght save by going to 11-32 XTR cassette.

.... the money spending has almost ended and I reckon will get to sub 8.9 kg inc pedals. :shock:

shame there has been so much rain so not ridding it due to mud - this is the "Sunday's best" bike. :?

02gf74":2xq63atw said:
.... the money spending has almost ended and I reckon will get to sub 8.9 kg inc pedals. :shock:

The money spending will never end ! When you get to 8.8kg there will be all the more reason to get it to 8.7...8.6.... ;)
Love to see some pics and spec of yours.

Back