How tight front QR skewer?

medoramas

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My new Kona is my first bike with disc brakes. Does the front QR skewer really need to be soooo bloody tight to avoid the wheel side-movement after few heavy brakings?

When I fit the wheel in a way I used to do on my old bike (with rim brakes) the front wheel changes its position after a ride - it can be clearly seen comparing the left/right distances between the top of the tyre and fork's legs. Also the brake squeals like a pig, even when the braking is very gentle. I'm not even mentioning the brake rub, as it's obvious :LOL:

To avoid that I have to turn the QR nut a bit more, so to close the skewer I have to use a lot of body weight through my hand (and it's very painful procedure, also a struggle to take the wheel off).

Are there any stronger/better QR's?

The fork is the Rock Shox Recon Silver.

:?

Any half decent QR skewer will be able to clamp the wheel with enough force to be able to hold it in one place, without you having to struggle to do it up or remove it.

Get a set of Shimano skewers - they have a lovely cam action which provide a tighter clamp for less effort.

If that doesn't work, then I'd take it back to the shop you bought it from because there's obviously some other underlying problem.

Barneyballbags":fvahte50 said:
Any half decent QR skewer will be able to clamp the wheel with enough force to be able to hold it in one place, without you having to struggle to do it up or remove it.

Get a set of Shimano skewers - they have a lovely cam action which provide a tighter clamp for less effort.

If that doesn't work, then I'd take it back to the shop you bought it from because there's obviously some other underlying problem.
I'll try getting a Shimano skewer first. The ones that came with the Kona don't feel so nice when clamping, there is none of that "release feeling" when tightening the wheels - just full power right to the end...

medoramas":3d2mhamc said:
Barneyballbags":3d2mhamc said:

I'll try getting a Shimano skewer first. The ones that came with the Kona don't feel so nice when clamping, there is none of that "release feeling" when tightening the wheels - just full power right to the end...

It sounds like they don't have a cam action to them. The early Hope skewers were like that too, and they were a nightmare for coming undone all the time :shock:

It sounds like your brakes need adjusting too, is your bike fresh out of the box if you see what I mean? Has a bike shop pdi'd it?

To avoid the braking action jacking the wheel out of the dropout, the advice is that you should have the QR so tight that closing it leaves a mark in your hand immediately afterwards.

I still fail to understand why fork makers persist in leaving it the way it is, when either putting forward-facing dropouts or the brake on the front of the fork (RHS for neatness) would stop this whole problem.

Bent a few of them in my time trying to get them tight enough to clamp properly :?

never used a proper Shimano one though, i converted my bike to proper bolt on with track nuts.

Quick Release is not even that quick when you think about it, the time you spent opening the lever and then screwing the outer nut off to get the wheel out, you might as well just whipped out a handy 15mm spanner from your backpack and ubolted the wheel :LOL:

Plus they feel a lot stiffer to me (10mm rear and 9.5mm front)

Also managed to bend the front axle on the boardman on a dodgy jump which bent the front QR, not good, i dont have any faith in them.

Back