OH NO!!! Another Ti build thread...Update Nov. 5...

Well, I got some parts this morning. Installed the BB and checked the crank clearance, it's much better. I also pressed in the headset cups, just waiting on my fork to come in so I can get it on the ground.

Couple pics to keep you interested:

BB_aheadset2.jpg

BB_aheadset1.jpg

BB_aheadset3.jpg

BB_aheadset4.jpg

Not so sure about the polished cranks now, hmmmm...

Decisions,
Grips1.jpg

Decisions,
Grips2.jpg

Decisions,
(insert pic of New Ritchey TrueGrips)

Camera batt died just as I was pushing the button.

Well, I got the Spinner fork in the mail the other day, mounted the race this morning. Threw it on the scale, 889g uncut(200mm) with the starnut inside. Threw the brakes on the fork as well. I had also made the decision the other day to use the m735 XT components from my Marin on the Ti. BUT the BB is too narrow for the M730 cranks in their current configuration(middle/inner) so i'll have to play with it. I also have a 31.8 TP on the way as the Marin's was a 28.6 BP.

I thought the fork was polished when I bought it, but was very pleasantly surprised to see that it was more like 'black chrome'. It goes very nicely with the Ti & Alu on the rest of the frame. It has very small rust blooms here and there and a few scrapes. From more than a meter away, one cannot tell.

And no, i'm not running canti's. Just needed the hanger to hold the fork on for the timebeing.
Pics:

Fork6.jpg

Fork4.jpg

Fork2.jpg

Fork1.jpg

Fork5.jpg

Fork3.jpg

Well, the build has moved along nicely, and in my typical fashion I have changed my mind too many times along the way. I prefer to think of it as the build 'evolving'.

I decided to ditch the Strongarm cranks and go with the m730's. Which of course meant that I needed a wider BB. So I picked up a 127.5mm. It's a very good fit and still leaves me a little room for a larger middle chainring(i'm running a 2x7/8/9).

Last night, I finally got around to freshening up the finish of the frame. I managed to get the whole frame done, save for the front half of the lower chainstays(till the drivetrain's done), with (1) brown scotchbrite pad. I was worried that without something finer the finish would look too coarse, but it's perfect.
Mongoose_Nov5_4.jpg

Ti vs. crank finish:
Mongoose_Nov5_9.jpg

I polished up the Thumbies and threw them on. I'm still waiting on my Cassette to arrive so I can hang the mech's & finalize the cables/housings.
The Raceface stem was also too short, so I picked up the Controltech(135mm) with 5° rise. A bit too high so I have a Specialized Ti stem on the way too. The grips are temporary until I can find a set of 610mm+ bars. Looking to add some color so
Mongoose_Nov5_3.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_10.jpg

The Tektro levers are temporary....

Then I left the seatpost black, then tried a silver. What do you guys think. Kepp in mind i'll be adding some color to it so i'd like it to stay clean.

Mongoose_Nov5_1.jpg

I had a Charge Spoon on there but found it not to be to my liking, looked cheap(i'll save it for the townbike) . So I took the Velo, and sanded to paint from the rails, then hit them with the scotchbrite pad....much better.

And from today:
Mongoose_Nov5_2.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_6.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_7.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_8.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_11.jpg

The QR's are temporary also till I find something more colorful...

Next installment, Drivetrain...

I like it. It's a very classy ride you have there, my friend.

And no, there is no such affliction as 'too much' Ti ;)

mikede":2on68se4 said:
Well, the build has moved along nicely, and in my typical fashion I have changed my mind too many times along the way. I prefer to think of it as the build 'evolving'.

I decided to ditch the Strongarm cranks and go with the m730's. Which of course meant that I needed a wider BB. So I picked up a 127.5mm. It's a very good fit and still leaves me a little room for a larger middle chainring(i'm running a 2x7/8/9).

Last night, I finally got around to freshening up the finish of the frame. I managed to get the whole frame done, save for the front half of the lower chainstays(till the drivetrain's done), with (1) brown scotchbrite pad. I was worried that without something finer the finish would look too coarse, but it's perfect.
Mongoose_Nov5_4.jpg

Ti vs. crank finish:
Mongoose_Nov5_9.jpg

I polished up the Thumbies and threw them on. I'm still waiting on my Cassette to arrive so I can hang the mech's & finalize the cables/housings.
The Raceface stem was also too short, so I picked up the Controltech(135mm) with 5° rise. A bit too high so I have a Specialized Ti stem on the way too. The grips are temporary until I can find a set of 610mm+ bars. Looking to add some color so
Mongoose_Nov5_3.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_10.jpg

The Tektro levers are temporary....

Then I left the seatpost black, then tried a silver. What do you guys think. Kepp in mind i'll be adding some color to it so i'd like it to stay clean.

Mongoose_Nov5_1.jpg

I had a Charge Spoon on there but found it not to be to my liking, looked cheap(i'll save it for the townbike) . So I took the Velo, and sanded to paint from the rails, then hit them with the scotchbrite pad....much better.

And from today:
Mongoose_Nov5_2.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_6.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_7.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_8.jpg

Mongoose_Nov5_11.jpg

The QR's are temporary also till I find something more colorful...

Next installment, Drivetrain...

Mate,
what a lovely build...but i do like the "anti theft device" propping up the bike in pics 6 ,7 ,8 :LOL: :LOL:

Ernie ;)

I like the way this is turning out!
All black parts is the go, for my 2 pence.
I don't know how they agree with your bum, but a flite 1990 (or original, if you could be bothered) would really suit this imho.

ernie":1maoup7k said:
Mate,
what a lovely build...but i do like the "anti theft device" propping up the bike in pics 6 ,7 ,8 :LOL: :LOL:

Ernie ;)

It does deter would-be thieves....

shogun":1maoup7k said:
I like the way this is turning out!
All black parts is the go, for my 2 pence.
I don't know how they agree with your bum, but a flite 1990 (or original, if you could be bothered) would really suit this imho.

The Flite's sell too quickly, I always miss out on them.

Just grab a Flite 1990 repro then, available off the shelf, not overly expensive and look the part.

Back