Haro Extreme Completed.

RFC

Dirt Disciple
As I have reported elsewhere, I literally picked up this 1991 Haro Extreme from a neighborhood curbside pile of junk.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... light=haro

There was grass growing through the cassette and it obviously had been left outside for years. It was the finish that intrigued me. From those years in the sun, the paint was thin and mottled, but intact.

I considered powder coating, but decided to see if I can preserve some of the patina while improving the finish. After cleaning and a little polishing, I touched up the scratches and used a red paint wash to blend some of the areas. Then, I built up the finish with clearcoat and laboriously sanded it down with a Scotch pad.

The finish I was looking for was that of an old, well used red pickup truck.

BTW, the tires are Performance Gothams -- 1.75 all around tires with a slick tread. I discovered that this is what the Scottsdale Police use on their patrol bikes.

Have a good weekend, all.

IMG_0071r2.jpg

IMG_0073r-1.jpg

IMG_0075r-2.jpg

IMG_0076r.jpg

IMG_0081r-2.jpg

IMG_0082r-3.jpg

Bullpup":gxig3qtb said:
Looks good. Nice to see a bike that hasn't been tarted up.

+1 -- It just goes to show that a bike doesn't have to be bling'd to be beautiful. I do love the look of a well worn and well used 'Lived-In' bike.

I must say bravo! you've done a very sympathetic, yet comprehensive restoration on this bike.

On a side note: I'd love to find one of those in the garbage!! :shock:

Great rig, even better story
glad its going to get a new lease of life,

That frames more of a "Triple Triangle" than a GT

The dull paint makes it look like a hardcore / un-ashamed workhorse ... just as you say like a well used Fire Truck

looks good, i like how original its been kept. im doing the same thing with my extreme, but unfortunately my paintwork could not be saved :(

SEANSTEPHENS":111uln01 said:
looks good, i like how original its been kept. im doing the same thing with my extreme, but unfortunately my paintwork could not be saved :(

Ah the advantages of a ball burnished frame:

DSCN0378.jpg

Thank you all for your comments. As I said, it really was an experiment. I have very little experience with bike finishes. With this one, I figured the worst case scenario was that it wouldn't work and I would just send it off for powder coating.

BTW, on the "bottom tube" near the BB there is a set of brazeons. There is not enough clearance for a bottle. What are these for, a mini pump?

Back