does the value of a road frame/bike change because . . .

rosstheboss":1cxg8fos said:
Are you sure it isn't a combination of winter coming and the memory of the Olympics fading a little?

Exactly! We'll soon be being mugged by Santa once again. Christmas is only 7 weeks away. :xmas-big-grin:

jonnyboy666":iqxsx3ts said:
i thought so, but adding to the question,

does it depend on the brand/team? and the age of that team?

so, bearing in mind the time period of of say 15 years where doping was apparently rife in the pro peloton would say an eddy merckx Motorola frame not hold it's value better then a say an eddy merckx Gan frame on the basis that for example armstrong road for motorola and Lemond road for Gan

i think the steel merckx frame,s have a great following,and will always demand a good price.i really dont think the new boys on the block type of trek , specialized and scott will ever demand the same sort of retail price in years to come

rosstheboss":2esg0icq said:
Are you sure it isn't a combination of winter coming and the memory of the Olympics fading a little?

Either that or the Shoreditch trendies have deemed them uncool....

There are a lot of Treks getting dumped on kijiji here. Several Discoverys and a USPS at the moment.

rosstheboss":30vr3hjg said:

The classified ads in Cycling Weekly are usually a good measure of this - once the decent weather ends and all the more-money-than-sense types of a certain build and age realise that cycling is actually quite hard work compared to loafing about on a golf course, an awful lot of high-end road bikes with "only <insert small number here> dry miles" covered seem to end up being sold through those columns....

David

Robbied196":1961sxa2 said:
does the value of a road frame/bike change because . . .Jimmy Saville once owned it?

I remember JS extollling the virtues of British Rail's shiny new Inter-City 125s in television adverts [1]. Unlikely to deter today's rail passengers from still using them, though....

David

[1] Insert dubious joke based on the ad slogan here.

I think the us postal and discovery bikes have lost value because of it .

maybe not a massive amount but a little bit .

Back