Sonic cycles restoration.

Also, i think the frame has been refinished at somepoint as the gold decals aren't decals at all. Gold paint has been applied first using decals as masking to give the brown finish with gold decals.
It should be a fair bit lighter with all its paint off :D

Nice!

Are you planning on repainting, or just a polish and build it up?

Either way, it's going to look well fancy.

Current thinking is, metallic blue powdercoat then chrome paint the lugs and finish with yellow decals and loads of clearcoat :D

Although the goalposts are ever moving :LOL:

Either way its going to look awesome when its finished, but it will take time as i want to do it right ;)

Even if the frame turns out to be mid 90's i'm inclined towards using older components to suit the frames makeup :cool:

You know that you may lose some lug detail around the 'shorelines' with a powder coat? That's what I hear, anyway... No personal experience..

This frame is about the only example of 'lugs painted a different colour than tubes' I've seen that doesn't look ugly, probably because there isn't much distance colourwise between black and brown.

New info, good news :D
I have been in touch with Helmut at Sonic who has in turn sent an email to a guy called Owen who made the frame for himself.
Here's the reply,

yeah, i gave the frame to my old neighbour. unfortunately i couldn't fit it in the container when i moved to plymouth, so it really was an act of desperation. my understanding is that one or two of the cable stops need replacing - it sat outside my flat for a few years and the sea air got to it a bit.
it actually does have a frame number, which is saus1 - as in sausage - it's well hiden. it was one of the last frames you built - columbus nevachrome main triangle with SL stays, and with 753 fork blades, and long shen 300 series arrow head lugs ... and an lc15 fork crown. sweet little criterion frame set. painted by vas - chocolate brown tubes, black lugs with gold lining.
as for age..........hmmmmm, when did you open that shop of regents park? i'd say it was about at least 6 months before that.

I'm waiting on a reply for the date the shop opened :LOL: :LOL:
I think we can safely say that 'saus1' is pretty unique :D

:cool:
So, campag or shimano???
I think campag, mostly because i've never owned a bike with there components before :D

Well this is it you see :D
The frame has the look of a mid to late 80's bike with the possible execption of the forks which look later, but aren't.
I'm waiting for a date from the builder so i will be able to make a decision then.
Previous owner had full Dura ace of various vintages from late 70's chainset to 9 speed dual shifters.

Only problem for me with Campag is that it will be a steep learning curve, i don't even know the order of the model names from a quality point of veiw :roll:

I'm afraid practicality / look come high on my list.

My Raleigh 853 has a mix of Shimano tricolor 600 and Utegra parts with a 10 speed cassette and sti shifters. I am about to start changing everything over to SRAM Force and the Tricolor will move onto a Concorde Astore, but still with 10 speed, as I just can't manage the hill without them yet. :oops:

This will make the Raleigh more modern, but will give the Astore a slightly updated look, so a nice mix of practicality and style.

Right, off for a quick 25k before tea.... I think I'm going to get cold :shock:

Back