How to pack a bike

Pyro Tim

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

I've recently had a bike sent to me, and despite the best intentions and efforts, the bike was damaged upon arrival. I don't blame him, and will not contact him to say anything other than thanks for helping me out. I have heard from another member that he's had the same problem when he had a bike sent to him.

This was due to the rear wheel being removed in the bike box. I've seen lots of people on here advising this is the thing to do. It's not.

Bikes are packed into the boxes by manufacturers with the rear wheel in. You just have to reverse the forks to get it to fit into the box. The rear wheel then is protecting the chainrings, the rear mech, and the drop outs. Front wheel goes along side the frame, as do the handlebars and stem, removed from headtube. Seat and post should also be removed, along with pedals. Best wrap cardboard or bubble wrap around the frame and seat post to protect the frame from scratches. Box the pedals, or put them in a jiffy bag for same purpose. Also, when collecting the box from Halfords / LBS ask for the plastic fork spacer that new bikes come with, and slot this in the fork dropouts to offer added protection.

This is how the bikes come new, so the boxes are designed for the bike to fit like this, and should offer the max protection.

Tomorrow I might go and take pictures for a how to guide. :D

I think Tel or Cipolini on here have posted pics on how to pack and post a full bike :)

Shaun

you can do with both wheels out with the right packaging, but a bike box should take a bike with rear wheel in.

You take the wheel out, you lose the best thing for protecting delicate things like chainrings and rear mechs, stays and dropouts.

You could take it out, then secure it in a way that will protect the chainrings and rearmech, but not the stays and drop outs from horizontal squeeze.

Just leave it in.

Pyro Tim":1fmrical said:
You take the wheel out, you lose the best thing for protecting delicate things like chainrings and rear mechs, stays and dropouts.

You could take it out, then secure it in a way that will protect the chainrings and rearmech, but not the stays and drop outs from horizontal squeeze.

Just leave it in.

Sometimes you need to take it out for shipping, as the dimensions of the box can have a huge influence on the price.

As for horizontal squeeze, you can always put something between the dropouts.
Doesn't have to be hi-tech, a piece of broom stick/handle will do.

P4290165s.JPG

Same with the box itself, a few pieces of 2x2 or broom stick/handle will perform miracles.

P4290164s.JPG

You are right, size does matter for international shipments, and the way you suggests would work. However, we have a service for UK deliveries that charges a flat rate for bikes, it's easier just to leave the wheel in. Even using the Parcelforce, with maximum dimensions of length + (height x 2) + (width x 2) being under 3m is easy enough with the wheel in.

For international shipments you are charged on either weight or volumetric weight, whichever is greater.

Volumetric weight is calculated as follows:
For road, you take the volume (length x width x height (in metres)) x 334

For Air, you take the volume /0.006

For Courier, you take the volume /0.005

It really depends where it is going.

Sometimes dimension restrictions make it prudent to minimise the dimensions even more, though that is unusual.

Most couriers within the UK will take a full cycle box for a decent rate.

Anyone about to pack a cycle should get hold of some proper packing tape and leave nothing loose or unpadded. I use the cheap LIDL gaffa tape.

Take rear mech off if in doubt, there is a good reason we use replaceable dropouts. Derail the chain, and wrap it with cardboard tubing.

Cycle boxes will allow the seat to remain in situ, just lower it and make sure it is tight.

You can leave the bars on, where you don't have a face off stem you can just take one grip off and slide everything to that end. Other wise wrap the whole thing then take it off and strap it onto the head.

Dislocate the brakes if needed. Loose off gear cables.

Whenever you see old expanded pipe insulation in a skip grab it, it is invaluable for packing frames.

Make some ritual markings inside the box for good fortune.

Clearly mark the box if needed, this way up and fragile, do not crush.

Cross fingers, but never send anything insured for less than 150%.

:)

highlandsflyer":18jialy7 said:
I
Clearly mark the box if needed, this way up and fragile, do not crush.

Apparently "be careful with this you clumsy F$%*~@g oaf" is a step to far :(

Back