Polishing Scrapes

Montello":26k9sjsi said:
What grades of wet n dry did you work through? Did do it wet or dry?

I used at first 600 grade paper to remove the anodising.
when I was happy with it, it was onto 800 grade.
when happy again. Onto 1000 grade to flatten out the surface and remove the scratch's out the alloy.
Then used 1200 grade to smooth the surface.
Then onto 2000 grade to have a super smooth surface.

Then gave the alloy a real good buffing by the use of Brasso and some good old thick socks :D

Used the paper in wet form and soaked for at least 10 minutes before use.

Every grade I used fresh clean warm soapy water and constantly cleaning the paper to ensure free of any bits.

Doing it this way ensures a super smooth chrome like quality finish.

Montello":2xedgby1 said:
Thanks for the tips ... here is my polishing effort ..

Rocking mate :cool: at first I thought the first picture was mine too...lol

Your last pictures just looked my bars before the loving attention :cry:

Ian Raleigh":2ln7chix said:
Montello":2ln7chix said:
Thanks for the tips ... here is my polishing effort ..

Rocking mate :cool: at first I thought the first picture was mine too...lol

Your last pictures just looked my bars before the loving attention :cry:

They come up well, I think I can clean up the pantographing on the stem some more ...

The bars were a bit of a balaning act so as to not erase the Cinelli engraving.

Lovely work, a lot of elbow grease involved. I hope mine can get somewhere close.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Kettlo.

Ballymena here!!! Not sure if you are joking about Ian's oven cleaner but i read 4 minutes somewhere OR until it turns black. I have not had to resort to using it yet but i bought a pack and it has pride of place in the garage. My wife asked me about it, she thinks i have lost the plot ....

Caustic Soda is the active ingredient in oven cleaner, so I just bought some of that: you'll find it with other drain unblocking products, cheaper than oven cleaner too.

Just a matter of minutes, depending on the quality of the anodising.

The fumes are pretty nasty so use it in a well ventilated space.

kettlo":1w0mmpjq said:
I use this to remove tuff anodising and the old product can be bottled back up and re-used again and again.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-OVEN-PRID ... 20b32bcb5d
How long do you leave the part in the oven pride for Ian?

You best keeping an eye on the stuff and keep the alloy part covered and as TGR says maybe 5 minutes at the most
but for god-sakes don't leave it on for hours or over night as the black oxidising is a bitch to get off.

Some cheap anodising can come off within seconds of this stuff touching it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back