US Bicycling Hall of Fame induction

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
The United States Bicycling Hall of Fame is located an hour or so up the road, so Joe Breeze and I trekked up there to see a couple of our friends being honored. We were comped for the dinner which was $125 for the hoi polloi.

Joe and I chose an "open" table, since many were reserved by sponsoring groups. The first person to join us was a man who had been a distant hero of mine through the '70s, John Howard. John was several times national champion, won the first Ironman Triathlon, and holds the land speed record on a bicycle (155 mph). Jacquie Phelan and her banjo also joined our little group.

The two mountain bikers inducted were Tom Ritchey and Susan DeMattei. Tom needs no introduction, but Susan may be unfamiliar across The Pond. She was a prominent racer in the '90s, and put off retirement and marriage for a year to take the Bronze in the first Olympic MTB event at the 1996 Olympic Games.

A couple of pix, Susan and Tom, and me, Tom and Joe. Gary Fisher wasn't there to complete the boxed set.

Attachments

• ck_tr_jb.jpg
    ck_tr_jb.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 358
  • susan_tom.jpg
    susan_tom.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 358
So did you take this opportunity to clear up with Tom when exactly he did build the first 650b off-road bike?

Repack Rider":1kiuhx0i said:
taffy":1kiuhx0i said:
I remember Susan De Mattie. Rode for DBR at the same time as Dave Weins.

Dave is her husband. They have three kids.

Win!

I have an old copy of MTB pro "day in the race of Dave Weins" (Susan placed well Dave snapped his chain :( )

Nice to see it worked out for them

Here is page from 1994 Diamond Back catalogue.

Attachments

• DB 1994 page3.JPG
    DB 1994 page3.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 304
Back