Any info on this bike? (carlton)

Kieranyeh

Dirt Disciple
Just recently dug out this bike, not sure of the name as its all warn away, could someone shed some light?

IMG_1880.jpg

Its sort of a british racing green, yellow and white theme.. (though this could be after-manufacturer)

Want to fix this up a bit, as its got some pretty nice features !

Flip-able hub, with fixed hub thread, weinmann and Sachs parts.. lightweight frame, not tested for material but I assume Steel.. wheels have SS spokes,

Cheeers y'all!

Wrap round stays and Crespera lugs mark it out as a likely 70's frame. I sold them and am trying to remember a green one :)

Decals changed to a square type mid 70's so is early 70's or late 60's.

Pound to a penny the name begins with a C or a K :D

Shaun

Midlife":emrt8e54 said:
Wrap round stays and Crespera lugs mark it out as a likely 70's frame. I sold them and am trying to remember a green one :)

Decals changed to a square type mid 70's so is early 70's or late 60's.

Pound to a penny the name begins with a C or a K :D

Shaun

thanks for the reply!

Theres a small scribe written name near the headset on the top tube, it says something like c--tion perhaps? and no it doesn't say carlton :p

In their 1971 catalogue they have a Crterium,Cobra,Continental and a Corsa
While back in 1969.70 they listed the Corsair in green and two Corsa Strada models.
I can supply more info on any of these.

The lack of a brazed on rear centre pull bridge and lack of chrome makes me think it's a tad earlier. The Later Carlton green was a lot lighter..........got me thinking now LOL

Shaun

bagpuss":2ld1rduc said:
In their 1971 catalogue they have a Crterium,Cobra,Continental and a Corsa
While back in 1969.70 they listed the Corsair in green and two Corsa Strada models.
I can supply more info on any of these.

Wow somebody is clued up! Thanks, I'll see if I can get any of those names from whats left on the frame, thanks!

Midlife":3c21frc8 said:
The lack of a brazed on rear centre pull bridge and lack of chrome makes me think it's a tad earlier. The Later Carlton green was a lot lighter..........got me thinking now LOL

Shaun

The seat tube has graphics on it, and as I did say, this could be aftermarket as it does have a texture to it, and it is flaking moreso than the rest of the frame, this block pattern on the seat tube is typical for the 70's, which would make it more likely 70's or thereabouts.. but again, it could just be someone in the 70's making their 10 year old bike 10 years newer! Aha..

Easy to date from the frame number.........as well as the usual places (BB and dropout) look at the seat tube from behind near the seat stay cluster.

Post up the number :)

Shaun

Back