Careless teens - what to do? Now with new dilemma.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2js74lpa said:
Obviously bike should have been locked up by your son.
Make him walk until he can afford to pay for a new one himself without utilising his confirmation money?

When i was 13-14ish i had 2 bikes stolen from outside the local skateboard shop within weeks of each other. I skateboarded everywhere for about 3 years afterwards as you can take a skateboard into shops/onto trains :D

Was the bike not insured?

Insurance won't cover if it wasn't locked.... and I'm not committing document fraud because he f..ked up.

Skateboard is a no-goer because he can't take it into school. But good idea there. He has a skateboard he never uses....

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1ercjbnl said:
Make him walk until he can afford to pay for a new one himself without utilising his confirmation money?

Should have thought of this before I took it off him - didn't expect him to be so stoney-faced about it as he was though.

Has he got a part time job? Make him get one so that he learns the value of money, as has been suggested take his confirmation money away until he's learnt to be more responsible.

can't say as a parent, but when I was a kid, I had 2 bikes stolen. 1 from outside the local shop when I was picking up papers for my round, and the other from my back garden. I learned my lesson, and haven't had a bike nicked since. Saying that though, I loved my bikes, even if they weren't great, and were upgraded each time, and have never left a bike unattended, let alone not locked since.

Remove his access to the easy money (savings, Isa, some kind of mid life crisis motorbike/sports car for yourself - joke) When (or should) bike no 3 get nicked he hopefully wont be so "meh" blase about it (hopefully)

Making him walk in lieu of transport will help too. (i cant believe how useful a bike is just nipping to the shops/post office etc instead of walking or getting in the car that more people don't do it)

It's been ages since I've been able to use this:

teen.jpg

dbmtb":1v6ma4kb said:
Well tonights conversation with the missus is going to be interesting :cool:

Not an attack and maybe you already do but whatever you do, work together.
You get some kids - the mum says no so go to the dad who says yes.

Be interested to see how the pans out. How are kids in Denmark comparatively to the UK?

Its not your sons understanding of the value of stuff thats messed up, its his timekeeping!  What does he do that makes him habitually late for the train?

he sounds like a good kid learning things the hard way, get him a cheeper bike to use for school and to have a decent excuse if hes going to be late. would it really made any real diffrence if he took the time to lock the bike and take a little flak for being late?

Back