Raleigh Professional '73/'74. Full Campagnolo.

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
I bought this bike on the strength of a phone call, intending to strip it, sell the frame, and use the Campag parts on a Quinn restoration. However, when I got it, it's absolutely original and I think it would be a great shame to split it.

I've been looking for a good Nuovo Record groupset and I don't think I'd be able to find one in better condition than this. Parts of it look NOS, despite being on this frame for forty years.

The frame is the Raleigh professional, top of the line in the early 70's. It was build in the Carlton factory in Worksop, stickers on the frame allude to this, and the bottom bracket shell has the large 'CC' cut-out. Many of the Campagnolo components are marked <C>, I'm assuming for Carlton.
The forks have the Cinelli-sloping crown, and the seat cluster is the fastback style.

Parts list:
Raleigh Professional, Reynolds 531 db tubing.
3ttt Record stem.
GB handlebars.
Campagnolo Record heatset.
Campagnolo Record brake levers.
Campagnolo Record brake calipers. (Straight, 'stabby' QR levers)
Campagnolo Record brake blocks.
Campagnolo Record crankset.
Campagnolo Record crank bolts.
Campagnolo Record crank covers.
Campagnolo Record Superleggeri pedals.
Christophe toe-clips
Campagnolo Record bottom bracket.
Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur.
Campagnolo Record front derailleur.
Campagnolo Record gear levers, including covers.
Campagnolo Record seatpost, 27.2mm.
Campagnolo Record seatpin bolt.
Campagnolo Record small flange hubs.
Campagnolo Record skewers.
Brooks Professional.
Campagnolo metal cable guides x3.
Campagnolo cable outers for brakes.
Campagnolo steel cable outer for RD.
Campagnolo horizontal dropout guides.
Campagnolo dropouts front and rear.
Campagnolo cable guide on BB.
Campagnolo pump peg.
Mavic Montherley Pro rims (tubs/sprints)
Silca pump with Campagnolo valve connector.
Regina SC (oro?) chain.

There's also some clincher wheels that were being used on the bike, 27". They'll be with the bike, but the mavics look a lot better.

Bad bits:
The chrome on the sloping crown is peeling. Looking around, this seems to have been a common problem with any that saw any use.
The frame has a few scratches here and there consistent with a 40-year, unrestored bike.
The gear cover for the FD lever was in blue, rather than black - I've coloured it black and it looks bob-on.
The rear skewer has a crack on the lever side clamp. I've been using it without issue.
I've replaced the original Campagnolo Record 'world' gum hoods with Campagnolo Record 'sheild' gum hoods, NOS/reissue. The old ones had melted, literally. I didn't know they did that. I couldn't find the world hoods for a price that wasn't mad. I've replaced the bar tape with period correct black; I think it's velox. I've put two new vittoria tubs on.

The bike is in wonderful, unrestored condition and is lovely to ride.

RaleighProfessional1.jpg

RaleighProfessional2.jpg

Price is £650. I'm in Derby and would prefer collection, but can drive to deliver within certain distances. I can post at cost if need be.

I won't split the bike if it doesn't sell, but I might sell the frame and forks at a later date.

I'm aware I can't sell a bike at this price on the strength of two photos - I've driven to my Dad's garage, and my SLR died on me, leaving me with only a cameraphone. More detailed pictures to follow.

Lovely bike and fair price.

It looks like big one but not sure that I could find the size?

Not as big as it looks - I'm 5"10 and was comfortable with the set-up, but I think it'd be better with a six-footer.

I'll measure it up properly when I get back to me' Dads.

The <C> is a campag trademark sign. Is the frame number a letter followed by a series of numbers?

Shaun

Sizes below - I forgot to get the frame number when I was there.
I thought the <C> was unusual marked on the pedal spindles, as I've not seen them marked on any other Campagnolo pedal spindles, but hey-ho.

sizes.jpg

More pictures.

The Frame number is A9637
There is also an B stamped on the other end of the BB shell.

DSC_8069.jpg

DSC_8070.jpg

The scrape on the top tube; cosmetic only.

DSC_8073.jpg

Chrome on the left side of the fork crown.
DSC_8075.jpg

DSC_8076.jpg

DSC_8088.jpg

ralfront.png

rallevers.png

Chrome on the right side of the fork crown.

Could only get to the garage this Sunday, it was a bit wet so I had to be quick. It's a manual focus lens so I couldn't get a close-up of the components, they were all out of focus.

I'll get some more up when I get chance.

Went to my Dads garage to take some more pictures today, and I'd brought the wrong bloody lens!

I checked out the frame number, but without unlocking it and taking it down; it's the right frame number as far as I can tell, but the separate letter is actually a B, typo on my part. (I'll change that post in a tic.)

Researching 1973-4 Raleigh Professionals though, this frame number seems to be in keeping, according to research by Sheldon Brown. The spec listed for this 1973 Professional is very close to mine, and seems to confirm my frame number.

http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/professional.html

As such, I'm pretty convinced this is a 1973 Professional.

Also, I've replaced the rear skewer that was cracked with an identical Campagnolo curved lever. If a buyer would prefer the original, no problem.

Back