movement in a shock absorber

lowslowandold

Retro Guru
went for a little ride around, after being out this week, and noticed movement in my front judy's its where the main shaft goes into the body at the bottom (hope that makes sense), its a front/back movement.

will a rebuild get rid of this or is it time for an upgrade?

advice please

worth searching for a rebuild kit? or just upgrade? but to what? aint got alot of cash at the moment.

time to start saving the pennies

Chances are the rebuild kit will be more expensive than the judy's are worth it.
Different fork depends on what bike and some personal preference. Bargains to be had though.

You're best off pulling the lowers off (or getting a shop to) and having a look at what you're dealing with before buying anything. I'm guessing they haven't been regularly serviced/maintained? I'd imagine the chances of them not being well and truly shagged beyond repair are pretty slim.

^^ yea 2nd that, sometimes it can be as simple as loose bolts connecting the sliders to the staunctions and with a simple service run like new.
Unless your riding them hard I doubt it's the bushings.
Don't ride them until the service otherwise you will likely blow seals and bushings ($$$)

Is there any one on the forum who rebuilds front forks at a good rate, or is it a simple job that I could do myself? Wouldn't mind painting them as well

if you are feeling the play by just pulling the front brake, it may be the headset. if you put your finger n thumb between the fork seals and inner legs then apply the front brake and rock back and forth to make sure

Back