X-Factor Circa 1996 (Proflex XP8 Content)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, sorry chaps been off the radar for a bit, sadly work has been getting in the way of things once again, anyway new project arrived the other day. As a few of you know I have a bit of a Proflex addiction, so when a kind Retrobiker eluded to having this beauty (Many thanks Explosif27) and that he was willing to let me take up ownership, what could I do?

Anyway it's a Proflex XP8 circa 1996 (I think) Size 18" Frame (Proflex sizing) fitted with Black Girvin forks. Very clean frame & forks, some slight patina and fade in the paint, and some very melted elastomers.

Yesterday I stripped the elastomers out and rebuilt the front and rear shocks with spring units. Simple modification which works really well and saves a wad of cash on buying a Noleen or Risse shock unit.

The frame will get a clean up over next few days. Then some funky wheels and maybe a sprinkle of Shimano 739 to keep me stopping and shifting ok.

Have a look, thoughts and opinions please,

Jussa :D

Attachments

• XP8 Pic 6.jpg
    XP8 Pic 6.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 726
  • XP8 Pic 5.jpg
    XP8 Pic 5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 724
  • XP8 Pic 4.jpg
    XP8 Pic 4.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 725
  • XP8 Pic 3.jpg
    XP8 Pic 3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 724
  • XP8 Pic 2.jpg
    XP8 Pic 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 724
  • XP8 Pic 1.jpg
    XP8 Pic 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 723
  • XP8.jpg
    XP8.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 723
Looking good, don't suppose you have a reliable source for those springs??? I'm in need of a couple for an 856 I'm building, the dampers are 100% spot on but the elastomers are US as per usual.

dicoverybmw":32zjrshc said:
Looking good, don't suppose you have a reliable source for those springs??? I'm in need of a couple for an 856 I'm building, the dampers are 100% spot on but the elastomers are US as per usual.

Thanks for the compliments, The Springs? Well they came off some un-branded shock units i had in the Man Cave (available from evilbay very cheap). Because the ODS are already dampened it was a straight forward modification, and seem to work well, the test will be when its properly up and running, i've only tried it with some wheels in place and bounceing up and down on it like a loon lol :LOL:

Cheers, yes I think I've looked at those might give one a punt as I've cobbled together a front setup from a pair of Girvins I acquired without a steerer so I only need one for the rear, they were only £10 from memory!

dicoverybmw":gu8t9wty said:
Cheers, yes I think I've looked at those might give one a punt as I've cobbled together a front setup from a pair of Girvins I acquired without a steerer so I only need one for the rear, they were only £10 from memory!

Yeah, think they were from a Bankrupt Cycle Parts Evilbay Shop Outlet if my memory serves me right. :D

A quiet Saturday for a change and time to work on my projects. Arrival of some parts meant that the XP8 got some attention today.

The control centre was the first to come together. XT739 Shifters and Levers mounted on Bontrager bars and clamped to the Girvins with the help of a Controltech stem.

Then the wheels, Now could be controversial with my choice of wheels, but basically a purchase of a Saracen bike from good friend 'Sylus' was my first introduction to Vuelta Airline's, the unusual aero spokes and pattern make for a very distinctive wheel. XRP Hubs with a Shimano 8 speed freewheel sat on the Rear. Not lightweight but do ride well and the set on my Saracen held true despite being used on the bumpy trails through Thetford Forest.

This set of Airlines was a NOS set sourced from a bike shop closing down just outside of Cambridge, with only slight storage marks £35 changed hands and they came home and sat in the Man Cave waiting for the right build.

Some NOS IRC Mythos tyres were purchased from Bache Brothers cycle shop West Midlands, very helpful, friendly shop with a plethora of retro parts available.

And the final result is below.........

Currently sourcing a 27.2mm Seatpost and Saddle and deciding on a Crankset and it will be hitting the trails.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 517
I know vueltas are not retro but from time to time the old new mix on kit works and those wheels work with that bike..nice

sylus":1mmmthrl said:
I know vueltas are not retro but from time to time the old new mix on kit works and those wheels work with that bike..nice

Cheers mate :D The do work well, and also having a very Stateside Flava about it helps, I did try the Foam Ritchey Grips and Bar Ends and they looked good, still undecided about fitting them onto my Orange or to go with putting them on the Flex??? Decisions, Decisions.........

Latest posts

Back