Campagnolo nine speed question

the curved lever hoods are found on both pre and post 2001 ergos, so don't rely on them alone when determining which year a part is from!

foz":90288rod said:
the curved lever hoods are found on both pre and post 2001 ergos, so don't rely on them alone when determining which year a part is from!

Good point, revised ergopower units (curved tops) appeared for Record & Chorus groups in 98 then other gorups the year later. According to the Campagnolo 2000 brochure the revised rear mechs were already available for the Record & Chorus groups in 2000 & 2001 saw the release of 10sp. So, basically, it's more confusing than you'd even thought.

If you are in the position to try, I wouldn't get too hung up about matching up year groups. I have 1 bike with 8 speed Ergos shifting a 2009 rear mech and a early 70's front mech. On a Shimano 8 speed cassette. Faultless and it gets better as it wears. Thats my rough stuff bike that never gets washed. The other bike has 2009 10 speed shifters with a late 90's rear 9 speed labled mech. Again no issues.
I am not saying it is 101% perfect for everyone but I find no issues. Definitely worth trying if it isn't going to risk a lot of money.

grilla":i3ry9gce said:
It's a bloody tangles isn't it...

So when were the carbon parts introduced?!

A good idea would be to look through the Campagnolo catalogues in the catalogue section of this site,

I have some Sach badged Ergos that I am told were Records really. I know they are not completely carbon but have the "Carbon BB" graphic on them. As they are 8 speed thye must be '90's. Just a red herring but something to consider is loking for carbon parts.

mattsccm":17vl7orh said:
I have some Sach badged Ergos that I am told were Records really. I know they are not completely carbon but have the "Carbon BB" graphic on them. As they are 8 speed thye must be '90's. Just a red herring but something to consider is loking for carbon parts.

I had some of these a few years back, came with an old Peugeot if I recall. I think they are Record quality but you have to remember that when Campagnolo launched the erogs they only did one version which they used for Record, Chorus and Athena. Later they used lower quality levers for Mirage & veloce.

High-end pre-2000 9-speed stuff is becoming increasingly hard to find, as it was not made for many years.

Particularly the alloy-levered Record ergos from 98 were only made for a year and are very scarce indeed, as are the titanium hubs from the same year. Took me almost a decade to find mine....

Back