xtr v brakes or MAGURA hydro rim brakes

ernie2012

Retro Newbie
Right im building up a Marin mount vision frame at the moment for my wife im looking at getting xtr v brakes & shimano xtr st-m950 brake shifter levers
But after seeing my mates cube which has magura hydraulic brakes and him saying they are better? im not sure xtr looks better imo.
Just would like peoples opinions to help

In all fairness, I reckon that those V-brakes with that parallelogram linkage are some of the worst brakes ever made.
In time the linkages develop play, which will make the brakes shudder and squeal.
When it comes to V-brakes, I'll take a set of generic Tektros and a brake booster instead.

That being said, I've ridden bikes with cantilevers, Vees, Maguras and discs, and I'll pick Maguras any time.
Yes, they're more difficult to install. However once that's done, you can pretty much forget about them. Just replace the pads when they're worn.
The main thing for me is that you don't ever have to worry about cables that might snap when you really need the brakes most. The extra braking power and the looks are a nice bonus too.

Maguras for me too.
I've got discs on the whyte and the dale but the Maguras are so fit and forget, great feel and awesome stopping power.
I've had the same set on my mongoose since 1995 and have only ever had to change the pads.
Awesome brakes :)

Thanks guys ive seen soon on the bay i may bid on
I have not seen them on a mount vision before so may go for it (i like to be different) thanks again guys

never had magura's so dont know how they feel, but i have m950 v's on the daily rider and im amazed how the gentlest one finger squeeze stops me at the bottom of a 30 mph hill on my way home from work.

I have girl hands too and the xtr are dainty and delicate and oh so sexy. Maguras are big industrial crude looking things IMO.

Good to have you back Ernie, i missed ya ;)

Back