Colnago Mexico

blightyinfurs":179fuqzu said:
Don't think so. The forks are in good nick, but in infills are faded; whereas the frame looks brand new. A definate re-finish, I think.

There's no tubing sticker as well, and the head tube transfer looks a bit low.

This is not the thread to discuss it but it's just personal taste, the short answer is yes, IMO, especially with off the peg production frames. A respray is not original, nor are reproduction transfers and tubing stickers. Colnago didn't just build a bare frame without paint.

It's only paint and decals though. The bikes still a Colnago Mexico which is a great bike.

How do you know that Colnago didn't contract their painting out at that time?

Thanks all - yes, it's got a frame number on the rear dropout - went to my Dads garage to take a picture of it today, but brought the wrong lens. I've only got to go out on it once, and I'm badly, badly out of shape - but it felt very quick, tight and responsive for an older frame.

I've used some traditional wooden-soled shoes in the traps, but I have to confess to preferring the Shimano SPD-SL pedals I usually use; I might have to sacrifice a little style for comfort.

Additionally, the Rolls saddle is ok, but I do prefer my Brooks leather hammocks. I might try and see what a Brooks Swallow would look like on it, but this would stop it becoming an 'all-Italian'.

In regard to the assumed re-spray - I'd rather it if it were original, but I'm aware that would be likely to carry a premium. A re-spray of decent quality can cost a good couple of hundred quid though, which is better for me than it being knackered!

Brilliant, you've got a great bike there then. Number on rear dropout + crimped tubes gives good signs that it is a Mexico.
As to the meaning of the number / letter combination I'll leave that to someone more clued up than I am.

Plus I think you're spot on with the paint and it looks great too, bet it rides a treat.

I've got some of the Detto wooden soled shoes that I'm using at the moment. They take a bit of getting used to but I like them a lot. Back to a more modern plastic soled shoe for the winter as the rain and spray are going to ruin my Detto's.

Which Colnago Super

Hello friends,

I have a question, does anybody know which Colnago it is and how much it would be worth? How old it might be, what do I have to watch out for? I found this bike and want to buy it. The owner wants to have 1400 Euros. Thank you very much for your help!

greets Michael

[/img]

Hi mikalang
First impressions: 80's, might be a Sprint, the price is very high.

Watch out for early 80's Colnagos as they ramped up production in the mid to late 70's and quality fell off considerably.

Colnago trade a lot on the name, some are really great bikes like the Mexico on this thread and others can be ropey. Don't buy a Colnago because it has Colnago written on it, there are loads on the market to choose from.

Heres a nice one for example;

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Colnago-Nuovo-Me ... 1014181016?

I'll try to help a bit and I'm sure there are plenty of others here too who will chip in, but ultimately the decision is yours.

You should really start a new thread on the what's it worth bit I suppose.

Here; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46710

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back