Now then, now then.

Gumtree. Preferably from a retiree who took care of his stuff. Mit and Starret are pretty much the industry standard but Brown & Sharpe make good stuff ( I use only B&S indicators). Get carbide tipped mics and verniers if you're in it for the long haul.

I had all my tools stolen. The insurance replaced them with Kennedy. They were fine for me. I used to service forklift trucks, so quite a hard environment. No Probs or breakages.

Still got a little Kamasa ratchet set from years back, never let me down. Most of the stuff in my box Facom & Snap On but there is quite a bit of army issue stuff in there which is cheap as chips to buy and is superb quality.

mass199":cpy6pwqw said:
cyfa2809":cpy6pwqw said:
Ah yes forgot to mention i wont be buying snap on. Sure it lasts but as mentioned they arent top dog anymore but still have high prices. Have been told of machine mart so will check them out too.
Kayaba seems to be just showa fork stuff?

I think you mean Kamasa ;)

Yes i do don't i :D

Is having to buy your own tools for work the norm in your trade? Seems a bit peculiar. I mean, I could understand it if you were self-employed, but if you've got a supervisor I assume you're not.

Piperdave":12gs8ejh said:
I had all my tools stolen. The insurance replaced them with Kennedy. They were fine for me. I used to service forklift trucks, so quite a hard environment. No Probs or breakages.

I think there is also a US brand called kennedy, im talking of cromwells in house brand? Not sure if the same?

Bullpup":12gs8ejh said:
Don't forget to offest the cost of tools against your income tax.

Not surre how that works?

MikeD":12gs8ejh said:
Is having to buy your own tools for work the norm in your trade? Seems a bit peculiar. I mean, I could understand it if you were self-employed, but if you've got a supervisor I assume you're not.

Im an apprentice, does that change things?

Many jobs that are not self employed insist you provide your own tools.

This is normally because those type of jobs require experience and with that you tend to have tools....mechanics are a good example. I know at the truck company I worked for the company provided safety gear like ear plugs/goggles/ boots and hi vis vests but nothing else

As to the tax people , for self employed i think it's quite straight forward, for everyone else it comes on you asking for a review of your tax code based on your trade and need to spend to carry on that trade. Not always allowed but more on..if you don't ask..

Back