Wheel and disk brake advice needed.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I have a 2005 FSR-XC and would like to upgrade the brakes the factory standard V-Brakes to disk.

I have absolutely no idea where to start as I have no experience with modern braking systems, my knowledge stops at V-Brakes.

Have a look at the pictures of my FSR-XC, you'll find them in my signature.

I have a fairly tight budget so no top of the range suggestions please. You will see from my pictures that I have a mid range wheel and groupset on the bike so I would like to stick to something mid range if possible.

I'd also be interested in buying something 2nd hand. I already understand that I will have to buy, wheels, disks, cables and levers.

Thanks in advance.

Trebz

Brakes wise, new Shimano Deore and SLX are mid range and brilliant.

Not sure what to suggest on wheels, I'd go with Hope Hoops if you're willing to spend that much - they're cheap for what you get.

I'd avoid 2nd hand hydraulic disc brakes if you are not familiar with them.

Either cable disc brakes - Avid BB5 are recommended or hydraulic disc brakes - Shimano deore are often available cheap from online shops.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=87317 - buy two of these & a different adaptor for the rear & you will have some mighty fine brakes for under £40 - rotors included!

Your forks are post mount so make sure you don't buy any IS mounted brakes otherwise you will wish you had stuck with vees!

Hub wise if you are happy with deore, then these in either 6 bolt or centrelock mounting will be okay, personally I find that going the next step up to either LX or SLX hubs is worth it due to the better seals.

Subject to your riding & weight I have found it worthwhile to go 180mm disc up front & 160mm disc at rear.

Look out for some good wheel & disc brake deals on Merlins website ;)

Why not just upgrade your vees? When I changed my rear for an avid with new pads it made a world of difference. 'twas better than the hydro disc on the front too!

Unless you really want to spend £100 or so for wheels, discs and brakes, a set of maguras would be well worth trying for less than half that. There are usually several sets on here or ebay. If you don't like them you are likely to get most of your money back.

Back