Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Won my MT4, will get it delivered Thursday, so will post some pictures!

Help needed for some "upgrades"

Hi again, My MT4 came through today and I have been admiring it, no chance today to ride it but will soon.

Need some assistance, I'm wanting to change the shifters (and brake levers) to Shimano XTR - would the XTR 900 be a good period piece to fit on the bike?

Secondly, the stem and bars are Ritchey, straight bars, http://www.flickr.com/photos/71817058@N08/8146524151

What would be a worthwhile replacement? I want lighter weight, but as long as it matches, a threadless A Head would look much nicer - any advice?
Would this be something worth considering?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271093599993?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or should I stick with the type I already have?? If so, any recommendations for anything lighter in weight?

(I'm just getting back 'into' MTBing after many years so pardon me if I'm a bit ignorant! :?

And finally, a seatpost and the most comfortable MTB saddle I can get - light weight of course!

Any tips, would be very much appreciated!

Cheers[/img]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Help needed for some "upgrades"

ibbz":2domnxwf said:
I'm wanting to change the shifters (and brake levers) to Shimano XTR - would the XTR 900 be a good period piece to fit on the bike?

Secondly, the stem and bars are Ritchey, straight bars
What would be a worthwhile replacement? I want lighter weight, but as long as it matches, a threadless A Head would look much nicer - any advice?

And finally, a seatpost and the most comfortable MTB saddle I can get - light weight of course!

M900 XTR is 8 speed where as your XT thumbies are 7 speed (although they do have the extra click to work with 8 speed) - check if your cassette is 7 or 8 speed as you might need to budget for a new cassette too.
TBH I'd stick with the XT thumbies & just get some nice levers: X-lite Chicken Stix are good value and in keeping with the bike.

To swap to ahead system you'll also need to source new ahead crown/steerer for the Mag 21 forks & new aheadset for marginal weight saving & better stem choice.
I'd keep the Mavic headset & look for a Titanium quill stem (ITM can be picked up for around £25) & X-lite (Ti or alloy) / USE (alloy) / Dynatech Ti bars.

Seatpost is 26.4 which is quite limiting on choice - all mine are either USE (25.0 & shim) or X-lite (25.4 & shim).

Saddle-wise can't go wrong with a Flite Titanium.

Sure others will be along with their suggestions.
Look forward to seeing lots of photos in it's Readers MTB build thread ;)

Thanks Caramba,

Only a 7 cog cassette unfortunately, I'm more inclined to stick with the XT shifters I have, do you reckon I should? OOR would need to change the cassette.
And to cut weight I could source a lightweight stem, bar, seat post and saddle, the rims are Mavic M231cd - seem light enough - thoughts?

My aim is to get the bike looking in period - I'd say Mid 90ies, and slick, and light weight.

My budget would depend, around £200 or so.

I'll have a look for the items you mentioned!

Thanks!

ibbz":2m7orbja said:
Thanks Caramba,

Only a 7 cog cassette unfortunately, I'm more inclined to stick with the XT shifters I have, do you reckon I should? OOR would need to change the cassette.
And to cut weight I could source a lightweight stem, bar, seat post and saddle, the rims are Mavic M231cd - seem light enough - thoughts?

My aim is to get the bike looking in period - I'd say Mid 90ies, and slick, and light weight.

Thanks!

8 speed shifters should work with a 7 speed cassette, you just wouldn't use one of the positions on the shifter.
What seatpost does it have? The black Dyna-Tech 4130 one is ridiculously heavy.
Bars and stem are always good to lighten the bike, although its worth weighing your current ones to make sure they arn't light before replacing them.

Rampage":3jyyi35c said:
ibbz":3jyyi35c said:
Thanks Caramba,

Thanks!

8 speed shifters should work with a 7 speed cassette, you just wouldn't use one of the positions on the shifter.
What seatpost does it have? The black Dyna-Tech 4130 are ridiculously heavy.

It has a cumbersome heavy madison cromo seat post which is super long, and a worn out saddle.

Chances are a decent aluminium one will be far lighter then!
Flite saddles are pretty cheap on here and light.
Whats the spec of the rest of the bike?

Rampage":5zdzxt4j said:
Chances are a decent aluminium one will be far lighter then!
Flite saddles are pretty cheap on here and light.
Whats the spec of the rest of the bike?

Here we go;

Saddle - San Marco gel and leather
Brakes - Shimano Deore LX V brake
Gear Levers - Shimano Deore XT thumb shift, 7 speed
Crank – Mavic Tapered square drive
Chainset – Shimano Deore XT fitted with Pace 44/32/22 rings
Cassette – 7 sp, 30, 26, 23, 20, 17, 15, 13 teeth
Chain - Sram
Rock Shox Mag 21 Forks c/w the air pressure syringe and gauge
Rims - Mavic M231cd.
Hubs – Shimano Deore XT
Front & Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Headset Bearing – Mavic A-Head set
Handlebars – Ritchey
Stem – Ritchey
Seat Stem – Madison, CrMo
Front Tyre – Panaracer Dart 2.1
Rear Tyre - Panaracer Smoke 2.1

How's this as a saddle;?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Kul...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4608e5f2a5

And as a stem?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYNCROS-C...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item337d6b64f0

I saw the syncros on another MT here on this thread. I wonder if it's actually lighter and 'better' than the ritchey already on? The stem and bar on the bike are a bit scuffed up as is the mavic headset

I'd rather buy from HERE though, eBay is a bit hit n miss anyway.

So to recap, I'm primarily on the look out for seatpost and saddle, stem and bar, followed by any other bits and bobs (eg as you said I can get myself the XTR shifters and use them with the cassette ((or change the cassette to an 8 speed one)) - to shave of weight, and for the bike to look wicked

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back