Polishing Scrapes

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good afternoon all,

I am in the process of stripping down my Rapide and i have a few scrapes on the stem and bars - having looked at a few retrobikes these seem common but i cannot remember how they got there.

Will Autosol remove these - they are quite deep or is there a more effective (ie quicker and easier) way to remove them? I have access to a small bench grinder and perhaps some polishing wheels although i have never used them before (they were my fathers) and I do not want to make them worse.

Any advice (as always) is greatly appreciated

Thanks, I have seen Tel's work in another thread - shocking, to say the least, how well he polishes things up.

I was wondering if Autosol would work for deep scratches.

how deep is deep? if they're more than just surface scratches then you need some wet and dry paper, starting with a medium grade and working up. autosol is only useful for finishing work. you might be better just leaving them though, as once you start sanding, you'll take the anodising off.

foz":rvyyxw83 said:
how deep is deep? if they're more than just surface scratches then you need some wet and dry paper, starting with a medium grade and working up. autosol is only useful for finishing work. you might be better just leaving them though, as once you start sanding, you'll take the anodising off.

agreed, you can't polish out a few scratches unless you take the lot off and start again...

Richard my Cinelli stem and bars were really scratched but after removing the anodising with
wet n dry paper then working on the scratch's and polishing they came up 'mint'

unknownbike3002.jpg

pavone002.jpg

Took me about three hours of hard rubbing! The bars did have zig-zags on them and the top of the stem was scratched but no more :cool:

Just worked down with the wet n dry paper from rough to smooth paper then used a few old socks soaked in Brasso to polish them up.

Nice job Ian, if i can get some spare time and access to the wife's sock drawer i might be in business!!

Thanks

A bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel attached makes light work in polishing times
but you have to be careful as the part can be whipped out your hands dangerously.

Back