1995 Orange P7 build

Chairmanmo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, nearly two decades on, I finally have a P7. Thanks to steelhardtailer for the F+F. Can't wait to get started on it.

Frame number is A511001099, which I think makes it a 95?

First couple of pics:

8142728230_6613bbe1fb.jpg

8142726321_41c450e59b.jpg

First step is to get some decals off Gil_m and then get it lacquered. Thinking spec-wise it might be a bit of a modern take on the classic P7. Not sure yet. Lots of decisions.

Will update when there's some progress. Any suggestions or advice from anyone that's done a P7 build themselves in the past more than welcome!

Cheers

The frame comes in as a november 95 so more than likely a 96 bike but the usual suspects will be along soon to confirm it or say differently

Most of these seem to follow upgrades on the xt range with m739 seemingly the most popular ....as to what you do...use the search and see how many variations there are

one too watch

Yeh, thought that meant Nov 95. Thanks for confirming.

Looking forward to getting going on it. Couldn't resist sticking some wheels on straight away just to get an idea what it might look like!

Without wishing to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, I don't think this is going to be an entirely period faithful rebuild. My heart would love it to be, but my head and wallet suggest otherwise. It needs to be a rider, not a garage queen.

Likely to be a bit of a mish-mash of modern and retro. I have some rim-brake specific Crossrides (in the pic) that I think would be great on it, although not period-correct; and I much prefer riser bars so might choose those over the classic Hot Rod. Undecided on that one.

On the other hand, I have got the beginnings of a black LX groupset in the garage so will probably base the drivetrain around that.

Hopefully the modern parts will be sympathetic and not upset any hardened Retrobikers!

I suppose my goal is for it to finish up as if I'd owned it from new and upgraded various parts along the way.

A vastly underated group set is stx rc..many oranges came with this from the factory. It's retro cheap and even nos can be had for a bargain

If the budget is tight I would go to stx rc to get it going... then replace to xt as time and budget allows only if you want too ...although as a daily runner stx rc will be good enough

sylus":3u37lzar said:
A vastly underated group set is stx rc..many oranges came with this from the factory. It's retro cheap and even nos can be had for a bargain

If the budget is tight I would go to stx rc to get it going... then replace to xt as time and budget allows only if you want too ...although as a daily runner stx rc will be good enough

I heartily agree! My 99' Clockwork has been running STX RC (from the factory, I believe) and is only now starting to wane. Good stuff.

Like the P7 btw. I baulked at buying one a couple of months back (same year as yours curiously)....i'm still kicking myself now :roll:

Back