Tyre Selection - Advice Needed.

SNAKEBITER

Devout Dirtbag
It's coming upto Winter, well ok it is blooming Winter and I was just wondering what you guys are using tyre wise.

At present I have a set of Schwable City Jets (Slicks) but I was wondering how these would be when it gets a bit frosty.
I have a pair of Maxxis Ardent in the shed but they wear down too quickly on the road and I'm saving them for best.

What do I get for the Winter (Frost, Ice etc)?
The main use for the bike will be tarmac but some of it will be closed/hardly used roads and some on the main roads.

Or shall I just bung the Ardents back on?

I just keep my slicks on but when its frosty/chilly I just slow down a bit especially round corners.

Or at least keep my angle as high as I can.

I had a set of City Jets and took a tumble when cornering hard in the wet and I kind of lost faith in them after that. I now have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, they are definately road tyres but have a bit more tread on them and they do seem more grippy than the City Jets. They also do a more treaded version, the Marathon Plus Tour.

They're heavy though at about 995 grams each for a 26x1.75 inch tyre, so a pair will add over 4lbs to the weight of a bike. :shock: However, they are supposed to be virtually puncture proof and I've never had one in the three or so years (1,000 miles maybe) I've had them.

i have just fitted city jets to mine, mostly redways (cycle paths) loads of wet leaves but been ok so far, i just slow for the corners not worth having an off. my lts has off road tyres and the tioga dh 2.3 was lethal on anything remotely tarmacy :shock:

Cheers for the advice.

So the general consensus is the city jets are ok but just slow down?

What tyre for when it snows?
Slicks or grippier ones?
Or walk? :LOL:

SNAKEBITER":1f3mx9hm said:
Cheers for the advice.

So the general consensus is the city jets are ok but just slow down?

What tyre for when it snows?
Slicks or grippier ones?
Or walk? :LOL:

Depends on the type of snow ;)

I'm afraid not being an eskimo I only have one word for snow, can you please elaborate further?

We normally get shandy drinking southerner snow, white and falls downwards. Unless it's very windy.

Back