Work bikes

RustyGold":1zdplrbo said:
How do you find the Ortlieb panniers? I'm looking into the backpack version of these panniers and have heard mixed reviews. I'm just not sure if they warrant the asking price?. Any insight would be appreciated :).

Nice commuter'd out C-Dale btw :D.
I like the Ortliebs, they're simple & tough. But it's all personal preference... if you want simple, tough & 100% waterproof bike bags go with the Ortliebs. If you want fancy stuff with zippers, lot's of organizing inner bags don't even think about them!
You British probably know Kriega bags (My favourite British brand!). Imho Ortlieb is for Bicycles, what Kriega is for Motorcycles.

whoa":1kq2mct8 said:
RustyGold":1kq2mct8 said:
How do you find the Ortlieb panniers? I'm looking into the backpack version of these panniers and have heard mixed reviews. I'm just not sure if they warrant the asking price?. Any insight would be appreciated :).

Nice commuter'd out C-Dale btw :D.
I like the Ortliebs, they're simple & tough. But it's all personal preference... if you want simple, tough & 100% waterproof bike bags go with the Ortliebs.

That's great, thanks for the info - 'tis much appreciated.

035.jpg

This is mine, its also my cyclcross race bike, winter trainer, back up mtb

I Have a 8 mile road to and 9 mile offroad route home so its perfect

explosifpete":2hqbmzb9 said:
This is mine, its also my cyclcross race bike, winter trainer, back up mtb

I Have a 8 mile road to and 9 mile offroad route home so its perfect

Beautiful!...bit tricky without pedals though ain't it? :LOL:. Just messing with you, I'm seriously considering a CX bike myself, I just haven't encountered the right one at the right time.

its tricky to start with but you get the hang of it after a few goes and saves weight :)
Also noticed that it in fact not a mtb and not made before 1997 :oops:

whoa":20b6vzyy said:
I like the Ortliebs, they're simple & tough. But it's all personal preference... if you want simple, tough & 100% waterproof bike bags go with the Ortliebs. If you want fancy stuff with zippers, lot's of organizing inner bags don't even think about them!
You British probably know Kriega bags (My favourite British brand!). Imho Ortlieb is for Bicycles, what Kriega is for Motorcycles.
ortliebs rock, i have a Ortlieb cargo bag that i take for diving trips, it gets chucked around and generally abused, its 16 years old and still going strong. Wonders if there's a retro bag forum?

Akula":v36w5kc8 said:
whoa":v36w5kc8 said:
ortliebs rock, i have a Ortlieb cargo bag that i take for diving trips, it gets chucked around and generally abused, its 16 years old and still going strong. Wonders if there's a retro bag forum?

You should definitely post a picture, Akula. I'd love to see that. There really is no substitute for how quality items age and develop patina over the years. Quality items/materials just get better with age...something I often encounter in my vintage clothing dealings.

This is my commuter bike – 97 Xizang running Zipp 515 and an assortment of Coook Bros, Magura/Altek and XTR. Will be installing Altek lever/masters all round and braiding the lines after xmas...

Goes without saying, this is kept in the office.

zipp6_low.jpg

Back