TV licence

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
We don't watch live tv and so have no licence........now we had this info off the licence people. We do not have a tv only a pc monitor. We wouldlike to use a flat screen as a montor but all the shops say, no you will need a licence. I'm confused as tv licence site say it's ok.

The shops say its to do with the pixels a tv gives off ??? :?:

Get one off ebay 2nd hand?

Personally, I dont have aproblem paying the licence.... the BBC produces some of the best material in the world, and for it to be available whenever I like, wherever I like now on my mobile or laptop as well as the TV, for a tenner a momth, is bloody bargainous if you ask me....

thats without even counting the radio and world services

I will no doubt be shot down by the BBC and Licence haters, but I really couldnt care... like the NHS, the BBC is of the few great things that the UK has to be proud of, and gladly pay a few pennies (40p per day) towards it.. my daily chocolate bar fix costs twice that FFS :LOL:

G

In a previous job I sold TV's. It is the law that the shop has to take the details of the buyer of the TV so it can be checked (at a later date I assume becuase we never did it there and then) to see if they have a licence.

This will need to be done for any equipment which has the ability to receive a TV broadcast (i.e. a tuner in it), so TV's, PC's with TV cards in them (do they still make these?) etc.

So please don't get arsey with them when they ask - they have to! However in this case the shop has got it reasons why wrong a fair bit..

Yup knew thay have to ask...that's no probs....i have not had a tv licence for about 7 years...we'll just get a bigger monitor a think(which is basically the same thing) but all this talk of tv vans picking up different pixels sounds like BS to me. I'll phone up the tv people as well.

BOLLOX tell the shop.
You DONT need a licence to have a TV in the house (I have for years).
You DO need a licence to receive live TV signal.

And yes I have been visited and I welcome them in.

This isn't hearsay its whats actually happened to me.

In the past I watched Video & DVD through my TV because the programs are crap.

If you want to beat the TV shop registration thing get a relative who's got a licence to buy the TV for you.

Rob Atkin":sloc6db3 said:
In a previous job I sold TV's. It is the law that the shop has to take the details of the buyer of the TV so it can be checked (at a later date I assume becuase we never did it there and then) to see if they have a licence.

This will need to be done for any equipment which has the ability to receive a TV broadcast (i.e. a tuner in it), so TV's, PC's with TV cards in them (do they still make these?) etc.

So please don't get arsey with them when they ask - they have to! However in this case the shop has got it reasons why wrong a fair bit..
but not the law to give the correct details. i once gave my name and address to the tv shop (rumbelows! remember them?) as mickey mouse, disneyland.
what could they do? they asked, i answered :D

Back