Any Holdsworth experts?

lae

Retro Guru
Any Holdsworth experts? I'm interested in this Mistral frame.

For sale 25" Holdsworth Mistral: 531 tubing; 10 speed; Super Competition Champion rims; Campagnolo hubs; GB Biba stem; riser bars (the original GB handlebars - not shown - are included); Suntour Cyclone gearing; Super Custom cranks; Michelin Sport tyres; Weinmann Vainqueur 610 brakes; Campagnolo drop-outs; Brooks Champion Standard B17 saddle. Frame reference 045642. All good to go. Looking for £350 for it.

59567d1350035369-029.jpg

59569d1350035408-037.jpg

Closeup on this advert:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vinta ... tem-full-3

Price is too high, obviously, but I'll see where I can go with that. My issue is - is it really a Mistral? I've never seen one that doesn't have wrap-over seatstays. Can't quite make out the 531 sticker but I think it's the 'butted tubes, forks and stays' one from late 70s/early 80s, isn't it?

These were really common a few years back and were great frames. My only concern would be checking out that fitment on the seat stays for the rack screws.

From the picture it looks like the screw goes straight into the seat stay and I don't recall Mistrals having a fitting for that, so get it looked at in case he has just drilled a hole and used self tapping screws. There might not be anything wrong with doing that, but I personally would avoid.

Yeah I've been trying to find a good quality 25" audax/fast tour type frame for literally years with no luck. Currently I'm riding a Gazelle Champion Mondial but I'm limited to 28c tyres and mudguards held on with p-clips and holes chopped out to get around the FD... not ideal!

I'll ask to get a closer look at the rack fittings.

Thanks for the advice.

Mistral is a very, very good frame. The one depicted is a late-ish (1980s) one judging by the Holdsworth typeface, and the absence of a headbadge - it has a transfer.

I've had a Mistral (earlier than this one) from new, and mine has the seatstay wrapover and no seatstay rack bosses (although you cannot see the bosses on this frame.

The fork leg lamp boss is a slight puzzle as the frame is quite"modern"in Holdsworth terms (a lamp boss is old fashioned).

It is a big frame, and as other poster's have commented, has a limited market - it has been reduced from £450 which was way too high.

Componentry is nothing special (nothing wrong with the Weinmann brakes - they're still rated by the CTC), mine is all Campagnolo. But by this time Holdsworth were having to compete a little more, so reducing the component quality was the only way (as they saw it) of remaining competitive.

I'd see it at around £250 - £275 - with Campagnolo more like the original £450.

Roadking.

Thanks Roadking.

Incidentally, what do you reckon the largest tyre that'll fit in there is? I'd be fitting it with 700c (if the seller can confirm the brake drop)

lae":dngqt5zn said:
Thanks Roadking.

Incidentally, what do you reckon the largest tyre that'll fit in there is? I'd be fitting it with 700c (if the seller can confirm the brake drop)

Hiya,

the Weinmann 610s are the shallow drop version of the 999 brakeset (the deep drop version of the 999s are 750s), and I can't quite tell whether it has 700c's or 27s.

My Mistral has 27s and I've fitted Panaracer Paselas in 27 x 1/1 8th, in the 700 size I think they go up to 37!

Roadking.

No, I can't tell either, I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me. I assume these frames had non-proportional sizing i.e. the top-tube is likely to be a 57 or 58. If it's longer than that, I'll probably leave it - I have long legs and short arms which makes bike sizing pretty difficult.

Judging from information on the nkilgariff site, this has all the hallmarks of a 1983 Mistral... fork lamp boss and seatstay rack brazings included.. the only year when these were included.

I reckon those wheels are 700c...17" or 17.5" stays.. can't remember but the information is in the 1983 catalogue on the nkilgariff site. FWIW a 1985 Holsworth Special of my acquaintance has about 40mm of clearance between the chainstays at tyre position. I can't imagine this Mistral is gonna be much different.

With respect, Roadking, in 1967 a (super) Mistral like yours was the top of the range Holdsworth factory frameset, with all the extra attention that that implies, but by 1983 it was way down the range. Still 531db throughout... I'm not saying it's not a good frame, but maybe not 'very, very good', like yours! It's a bit like Campagnolo...you know, Gransport was once top of the range too....This may influence opinion as to what this bike is worth. I agree £450 is way too much. Personally I'd be reluctant to go above £200, but I'm not someone who needs a 25" frame, and also I'm a stingy bastard. :)

Back