Bought goods from DJ now no word

It's good that you'll give the Police the info as these con artists tend to get away with it as each victim tends not to know that others have been ripped off too.

Glad it's sorted.

@Webba - please leave feedback accordingly

DJ will get a 2 week temp ban. He / she will be allowed back on the site as and when they contact me > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/contact and clear everything up. If this doesn't occur ban will be permenant.

webba":3vxo1oz2 said:
STOP PRESS ,I have just received a refund from Andre Noble . I emailed him yesterday telling him I had his address and would pass it onto the Police and to each person that has left negative feedback on his E-bay if I didn’t receive my money back But today was the deadline set by Retrobike so I am not sure who scared him the most but I now have my money back so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the info guys I doubt I would have got my money back without the help of the forum moderators and the retrobike community. its lesson learned my own stupid fault and if I had followed forum guidelines non of this would have happened.

Great news webba, looking at his track record I'm guessing the mention of the Police got things moving :)

All you've got to do now is give his address to the police :) :) :)

suburbanreuben":t1hb6cmj said:
John":t1hb6cmj said:
Glad it's sorted.

@Webba - please leave feedback accordingly

DJ will get a 2 week temp ban. He / she will be allowed back on the site as and when they contact me > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/contact and clear everything up. If this doesn't occur ban will be permenant.

You're joking aren't you?

+1

The thing is we all take a gamble when we buy anything from another forum member, most payments are Paypal gift so as a buyer you don't have a leg to stand on. However, cases like this seem extremely rare on RetroBike, (in fact its the only one I've seen since I joined), but if they don't result in a permanent ban, surely that effects everyone's confidence and trust in the forum?

Maybe Dj should have the opportunity to defend themselves, but from all the posts, links and Ebay activity I've read, guilty until/if proven innocent would be a better result for all members.

Just my two-penneth :)

Why do people even bother paying by PayPal Gift, given the risk you expose yourself to not just from getting ripped off by the unscrupulous, but also the likelihood of items getting lost or damaged in transit..... ?
For the sake of a few quid....? :facepalm:

I am not being insensitive or cold, but if you choose to take the risk, then its on your own head

Incidentally, even if I pay by "Gift" I still get charged I think, so whats the difference?

Glad its worked out, however I feel this wont be last of this character, and situations like this will be repeated ad infinitum with many other members

G

unkleGsif":38btxmbo said:
Why do people even bother paying by PayPal Gift, given the risk you expose yourself to not just from getting ripped off by the unscrupulous, but also the likelihood of items getting lost or damaged in transit..... ?
For the sake of a few quid....? :facepalm:

I am not being insensitive or cold, but if you choose to take the risk, then its on your own head

Incidentally, even if I pay by "Gift" I still get charged I think, so whats the difference?

Glad its worked out, however I feel this wont be last of this character, and situations like this will be repeated ad infinitum with many other members

G

A lot of sellers request payment as Paypal gift, there are no fees for gift payment. Otherwise, the seller has to raise a Paypal invoice and the Paypal fees will be deducted when payment is made. For expensive items raising an invoice is the best way for both parties. For a £5 brake caliper, or £30 pair of forks its just a lot easier all round to work on the basis of trust and accepting the risk that nothing may arrive.

I've never had a problem and generally the cycling community are a trustworthy bunch, which is why its so annoying when some moron uses it as an opportunity to line their own pockets.

Maybe I am doing something different, but I have never had a seller raise an invoice. They just send me the email address of their PP account and I send them the money as "Goods", with fee's added on to cover...

Even on £80 of bits, its only £3.02 extra for the peace of mind and security

You're right about us being a trustworthy bunch, just look at all the Gold Traders and the traffic in the For Sale sections. I wonder what the total value of sales through the forum is per year... must be £hundreds of thousands. Sadly, there will always be some schmuck who wants to take advantage. Wont be me that gets burned tho (something about last words and fame?....)

G

I must admit, I have paid for a few things gift, usually its not for a huge amount ($200ish) but the last one was quite large...but it all worked out OK. personally I'd be happy to pay the charges (gift charges work out cheaper using bank account than credit card) for a regular payment.
SOmeone I had some dealings with recently had a nice charge calculator, painter09 I believe. worked out how much extra to pay to make correct amount to the receiver.

If people will forgive me, why the hell should the buyer pay the fees ? Should be the sellers reponsibility.

Back