Crank Removal - help meeeeeeee

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I am in the process of stripping down my bike but the cranks won't come off. I do not remember taking them off before so they have been there for 29 years. I got the nuts off easily.

I have tried a gentle hammer but nothing is moving - i have larger hammers!

I have sprayed them with releasing spray and am waiting.

Have i missed something??????

BTW - this is the first set-back i have had - everything came off reasonably easily, except a water bottle nut which took a little persuasion.

Thanks for reading, i await responses in anticipation - with a Peroni in my hand.

hammering won't do a lot... I assume you've tried a proper crank puller? If that hasn't moved them (careful if they're very stuck, you might strip the threads with the puller if you go at it too hard), then the next trick is to try just riding the bike around with the crank nuts off. Don't go far, or take the nuts if you do...

if that still doesn't work, then a large-ish bearing puller might do it.

after that you're into more destructive techniques, like cutting them off...

good luck!

ooooooooooooooooo i did not know that. Trip to LBS is likely as i do not have a puller. Bollox!!!

Should the shaft pull out?

yep, a pic might help! I was assuming we're talking cotterless cranks... a decent crank puller is a must! you could hammer away for years and not get anywhere, but a decent crank puller will have them off in a couple of minutes.

Sorry for the delay, no cotter pins - it is not that old! 1983 is not that long ago - in my mind only!!

Thanks for the advice - i better put my hammers away.

Where do you get a crank puller?

Thanks all, i am glad i posted before i got my BIG hammer out!

I will speak to my LBS, i have spent a few pounds in there recently - new bike, new tyres and tubes for this bike and a bike for my daughter from Santa - so they might not be too harsh on me - £1500 spent should get me some goodwill and they guys in there are good.

All I have to say is PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Thanks all for your help

Back